Citizenship Interveiw Experience in New York - Federal Plaza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship Interveiw Experience in New York - Federal Plaza

Arrived 30 minutes prior to appointment at 8:30 on the 7th floor. My Wife's appointment was at 9:10.
    Submitted letter at the counter directed by the security gaurd.
    Waited for 1/2 hours. An officer called my name and told me that my wife will be interviewed after mine was done.
    Raised hand to tell the truth but the truth, went through N400 application form. He then requested a GC and passport. Asked me questions about my employment.He conducted the test, which I had passed.

Asked if i brought my marriage certificate and kid's birth certs( Application based on 5 years deal), these certs were not listed on my interview letter. I fortunatly had them based on the reviews that I read in this forum.

Since I had three tickets( 2 speeding and 1 expired Inspection-Total fine $250) that I had indicated in the N-400, he asked for copies of payment. I submitted the copies.

He indicated that even thought these are minor infraction, he will have to submit my application for further background checks and hence he is unable to approve my application at this time.

The officer advised that this is a normal check that we do and its procedural. He did not give me a time frame on when I would be able to expect a letter of approval.

Have you guys ever heard of this situation??

My wife did the interveiw after mine was done and since she had no citations indicated in N-400, she got approved. The office advised her that her filed will be bundled with mine so that once my background verification is completd, the oath letter can be issued on the same day for both of us.

The officer was actually very cordial and nice unlike some experience that were posted in the forum.

Here is the timeline of our N-400 applicatio process

8/5/2009-Day1-Sent Application via USPS mail -
    8/6/2009-Day2-Delivered.
    8/11/2009-Day7-Check Cashed
    8/13/2009-Day9-Received NOA, PD 8/06, ND 8/06
    8/17/2009-Day13-Received Fingerprint Appointment Letter
    8/27/2009-Day23-Fingerprint Appointment
    10/2/2009-Day59-Received Interview Letter Appointment
    11/4/2009-Day92-Interview Date

Hopefully I will hear from USCIS in a month or two... Has anybody heard or gone throught the same situation?

Thanks

Originally posted by adam2009 View Post
    Arrived 30 minutes prior to appointment at 8:30 on the 7th floor. My Wife's appointment was at 9:10.
    Waited for 1/2 hours. An officer called my name and told me that my wife will be interviewed after mine was done.
    Raised hand to tell the truth but the truth, went through N400 application form. He then requested a GC and passport. Asked me questions about my employment.He conducted the test, which I had passed.

Asked if i brought my marriage certificate and kid's birth certs( Application based on 5 years deal), these certs were not listed on my interview letter. I fortunatly had them based on the reviews that I read in this forum.

Since I had three tickets( 2 speeding and 1 expired Inspection-Total fine $250) that I had indicated in the N-400, he asked for copies of payment. I submitted the copies.

He indicated that even thought these are minor infraction, he will have to submit my application for further background checks and hence he is unable to approve my application at this time.

The officer advised that this is a normal check that we do and its procedural. He did not give me a time frame on when I would be able to expect a letter of approval.

My wife did the interveiw after mine was done and since she had no citations indicated in N-400, she got approved. The office advised her that her filed will be bundled with mine so that once my background verification is completd, the oath letter can be issued on the same day for both of us.

The officer was actually very cordial and nice unlike some experience that were posted in the forum.

8/6/2009-Day2-Delivered.

Hopefully I will hear from USCIS in a month or two... Has anybody heard or gone throught the same situation?

Thanks
    Sorry to hear your case.
    I have seen at least 2 posts in this forum saying they were told by IO that their case can't be approved & background check needs to be done. But I don't know the reason for their background check.
    Its so surprising that IO says like that in interview where in background check should have been completed before even calling for Interview.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I agree...the FBI and background check should have done before they could call one for an interview

well lets hope whatever check the officer indicated need to be done get done soon and send me the approval...

keeping my fingers crossed. I will keep yal posted

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I agree...the FBI and background check should have done before they could call one for an interview

well lets hope whatever check the officer indicated need to be done get done soon and send me the approval...

keeping my fingers crossed. I will keep yal posted
        Hopefully, you will receive approval letter soon.

Where & how did you get the proof of payment for your traffic tickets?, what kind of proof do they accept?, Do they accept if we show them DMV record (in California, DMV record has lot of codes & I dont understand which code says that I have paid the traffic ticket).

Comment

8/6/2009-Day2-Delivered.

Thanks
          Adam2009-

its not un common for officers to have their supervisors review a case to be 100 % sure before they approve if it has some incidents like tickets arrests, tax issues etc.

Based on what you said above, your oath letter should be on its way in 2 weeks or so. No need to worry!

let us know the outcome. Congrats on your passing the civic test and your wifes approval

best regards,
          poisontee
          Disclaimer:Not legal advise! Use at your own risk.
          N-400 Timeline San Antonio Office
          06/07/2009 - Sent Application
          06/10/2009 - Delivered.
          06/12/2009 - Check Cashed
          06/19/2009 - Rec NOA
          06/22/2009 - Rec Biometrics Appt Letter
          07/02/2009 - Biometrics Appt
          07/13/2009 - Rec Interview Letter Appt
          08/24/2009 - Interview Date
          10/13/2009 - Rec Oath Appt Letter
          10/22/2009 - Oath Ceremony
          10/26/2009- Passport App
          11/06/2009- Passport Received

Comment

Originally posted by Nags3_cvn2004 View Post
            Hopefully, you will receive approval letter soon.

Where & how did you get the proof of payment for your traffic tickets?, what kind of proof do they accept?, Do they accept if we show them DMV record (in California, DMV record has lot of codes & I dont understand which code says that I have paid the traffic ticket).

Hey Nags, I got the proof of payment from the town court where the payment was made. In my case I went to two town courts and got the copy of the payments made which clearly states the outcome of the case as well.

You may also want to ask the court to put imprint their seal to show that its a true copy. The officer who interviewed me asked me about this.

Comment

Originally posted by poisontee View Post
              Adam2009-

its not un common for officers to have their supervisors review a case to be 100 % sure before they approve if it has some incidents like tickets arrests, tax issues etc.

Based on what you said above, your oath letter should be on its way in 2 weeks or so. No need to worry!

let us know the outcome. Congrats on your passing the civic test and your wifes approval

best regards,
              poisontee

Thanks poisontee for the response. Yes ! I hope I will hear from them soon as well. I will keep you guys posted on the same.

Comment

Thanks poisontee for the response. Yes ! I hope I will hear from them soon as well. I will keep you guys posted on the same.
                Adam, have you heard back from USCIS yet? I had the same situation about about 7 weeks ago and still haven't received anything from USCIS.

Comment

Just Heard back from USCIS

Yes! Today I got a two letters instructing me to attend for a re-interview on 12/29/2009 at Federal Plaza. The second letter indicated that I bring certified copies of the court despositions(please note that I had indicated three traffic tickets in my N-400. During the interveiw,the officer was not satisfied with the payment receipts for the tickets. He wanted to have certified copies from the respective courts saying that there are no pending charges and statement of final outcome.) I had two speeding tickets and one expired inspection during the course of 5 years.

I am just glad that atleast there is some movement on my file as I expected to hear from USCIS may be in 6 months.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Originally posted by miles2go View Post
                  Adam, have you heard back from USCIS yet? I had the same situation about about 7 weeks ago and still haven't received anything from USCIS.

Comment

Yes! Today I got a two letters instructing me to attend for a re-interview on 12/29/2009 at Federal Plaza. The second letter indicated that I bring certified copies of the court despositions(please note that I had indicated three traffic tickets in my N-400. During the interveiw,the officer was not satisfied with the payment receipts for the tickets. He wanted to have certified copies from the respective courts saying that there are no pending charges and statement of final outcome.) I had two speeding tickets and one expired inspection during the course of 5 years.

I am just glad that atleast there is some movement on my file as I expected to hear from USCIS may be in 6 months.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.
                    Hey Adam,
                    I hope it will go smooth for you & get approval during your re-interview. Wish you best of luck :-)

Big thanks to you for giving me suggestion regarding DMV tickets proof of payments. IO officer asked me for it during interview & she was convinced after I showed her the proof of payments. Then my case was approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Nags3_cvn2004 View Post
                      Hey Adam,
                      I hope it will go smooth for you & get approval during your re-interview. Wish you best of luck :-)

Big thanks to you for giving me suggestion regarding DMV tickets proof of payments. IO officer asked me for it during interview & she was convinced after I showed her the proof of payments. Then my case was approved.

Thanks for the wishes. I got certified copies of the Despositions from the court and will update you guys on the verdict!!!

Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Re-interview

Just wanted to update my thread.

Went for the re-interview and submitted the Certificate of dispositon from the respective courts. I thought I was going to meet the same person who had interviewed me a month ago but looks like they changed the procedure at Federal plaza. I had to go to a 3rd flr instead of the 7th floor and submitted the document at a window and was told that a written notice on the outcome will be sent. It was quick( 5 min) and easy.

The new process is certainly very quick. I could have sent the same my Fedex or USPS not sure why they even called me for the interview.

Thats my story.. .the good news is that my wife got the Oath notice for this week.

Hoping that mine will be on its way as well....

Happy New Year to all !!

Comment

I am still waiting for a decision from USCIS but fortunately my wife got her Oath letter and got he citizenship last week. Applied for the passport the same day as well..

Not waiting for my turn... Will keep this thread posted.

Comment

Update on my case- NY Federal Plaza

Just wanted to update my thread. I finally received my Oath letter for Feb 24th. This is almost a 7 week delay due to the additional documents requested by the officer. I am glad that the journey is nearing completion.

I just wanted to wish all of you...Good luck and thanks for all the encouragement and inputs.

Regards
                            Adam

I am still waiting for a decision from USCIS but fortunately my wife got her Oath letter and got he citizenship last week. Applied for the passport the same day as well..

Not waiting for my turn... Will keep this thread posted.

Comment

"Same Day" Oath

moved
                              Last edited by citizenshipquestion; 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM. Reason: moved

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X