Citizenship Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship Question

After applying for U.S citizenship (naturalization), Do I have to stay in the country until the naturalization application is completed?

Would I be able to go on a vacation outside of the U.S or do I have to get special permission to leave while naturalization application is being processed?

Originally posted by bmathew1974 View Post
    After applying for U.S citizenship (naturalization), Do I have to stay in the country until the naturalization application is completed?

Would I be able to go on a vacation outside of the U.S or do I have to get special permission to leave while naturalization application is being processed?
    You are free to go out of the country provided you have a valid visa(GC) to come back. If your GC expired and you are in the process of naturalization then you don't want to travel.

In short you are free to travel in and out of the country with your GC and foreign passport until the day of your swearing in. Once you are sworn as a US citizen, the foreign passport and GC are voided and you need a US passport to travel.
    N400 Application details
    Added in the citizenship tracker app(06/25/09 - 11/13/09)

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the answer. I do have a valid green card

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X