Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My N-400 Experience and Detailed interview + Issues

My timeline:
    First, I applied based on 5 years continuous residency as a permanent resident.
    I applied exactly 3 months before my 5 years anniversary date.

- Applied for Naturalization on …………….. . 07/22/2018
    - USCIS received my application on .. .….. .…. 07/22/2018
    - Biometrics appointment was scheduled on... 07/27/2018
    - Biometrics were reviewed on...……………… 08/13/2018
    - Interview was scheduled on...………………….. 07/13/2019
    - Interview was approved on 07/13/2019 and Oath ceremony was scheduled on the same day, then they handed me my oath ceremony letter before leaving the premises.

Issues that I faced and Details of the Interview

One month before my interview, I went on my USCIS account and downloaded the snapshot of my case ( basically, it is a copy of the online N400 form that I filled out and submitted). To my biggest surprise, I noticed they were several questions that I omitted to answer ( how many children do u have? have you ever travelled outside of the US since you became a permanent resident? and 3 Yes/No questions). Honestly, I don't know how that happened since I went over my form several time to make sure that everything was answered before submitting it. So, it bothered me a lot.
    Second issue was that I owned the IRS. But let me clarify that I didn't own the IRS when I was applying, it was only one week before my interview that I received a mail from the IRS about my 2018 tax return and I found out that I own them. I couldn't pay the whole amount because I only had 7 days left before my interview. So I created an account on the IRS website and set an online payment agreement for 3 months, which was approved and I printed it and took it with me on my interview day. Note that I also managed to make 3 small payments prior to my interview and also printed the payment receipts for my record.
    THE D-DAY (Interview)
    I was greeted by a very nice lady who took me to a room where they took my fingerprints to make sure it was really me then she took me to her office. She asked me to remain standing and made me swear to tell the truth then invited me to sit-down. She the told me that she will go over my N400 form and then proceed to the civic test, I said OK.
    My heart was racing because of the unanswered questions that I noticed earlier. She asked for my full name, date of birth, social security, current address . Then she asked about my previous addresses and work history then asked me every single questions on the N400 form. I answered all of them and to my biggest surprise, she didn't mention anything about unanswered questions. Next, she asked me if I don't own the IRS ( On the form, the answer was "NO" because at the time I was applying, I didn't own anything) but I responded her that I now own the IRS. when I said that, she stopped typing on her computer then looked at me straight in the eyes and repeated the question. Do you own the IRS? I said YES but quickly I provided all the explanation that I just received the notice 7 days prior to the interview but I already made a payment agreement and made several payments. She asked me if I had proof of what I was saying , I said YES, then I handed her all the payment receipts and the online payment agreement. She checked them and asked me if I will pay the rest of the money before the date stated on the payment agreement I responded YES. She then scanned all those copies and added them to my file. Then we moved to the civic test.
    1. What is one right for everyone living in the US?
    2. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
    3. How many senators do we have?
    4. For how many years do we elect US senators?
    5. Name one State that boarders Canada
    6. Which Ocean is on the East side of the US?
    I answered all those questions correctly then she told me that I passed the Civic test. Then we proceeded to the reading and writing test.
    She asked me to write : Thanksgiving is in November.
    Then she said that I PASSED the Civic and the reading and writhing test and said CONGRATULATION, I AM RECOMMANDING YOUR APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL.
    Finally, she told me they made some changes in the way they process the final steps of the procedure. She told me they will issue me my Oath ceremony appointment letter on the same day and that I should wait a couple of minutes in the lobby till I get called my an agent to give me the Oath ceremony letter. I waited and I received my appointment which was scheduled only 2 days after the interview day. It was the best day of my life. I am now a U.S Citizen and I already applied for my U.S Passport.

I hope my detailed experience about the whole process will help. I wish you good luck and feel free to ask me any question. Peace and God bless America.

congratulations

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X