Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling N400 application

Hello All,

I have 2 questions that I am struggling to answer on N400 online application, particularly on employment history section.

Q1) I worked for a company, through which I traveled across the world. Problem is, at each location (country, state), my company operates with a different entity name and location address is different, but all of them are under one umbrella and globally recognized with only one group name. How do I reflecting this on N400? (My employment background verification will show that I worked for this company - group name for 13 years continuously)

example : global group name = xxx Inc, entities = xxx india pvt ltd (country - india) , xxx poland (country - poland), xxx llc(country US, State: Connecticut), xxx soultions(country US, state: California) ..etc.,
    employment background verification (xxx Inc 12.5 year....)

Q2) I took a break for 3 weeks from a 13 years full time role and then took up a role as an independent contractor (paid on 1099-Misc). I never applied / received unemployment benefits. how do I reflect this?

Any help/suggestion on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    nraj.
    Last edited by nraj2020; 05-11-2020, 10:10 PM.

I believe that you can use all of your W2 for the name of company you worked and reported in your tax refund. For those 3 weeks write truth, (unemployment). There is not any problem even if you had unemployment benefits (must be reported in your tax file). Also you must fill all of your business trip in last 5 years, since you worked for a US company and paid US tax, there will not be residency problem for you.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you ronmony . I really appreciate the response! I didn't think of w2 actually. Sorry to ask you 2 more questions.

1) All the US entities employees' payrolls are run by one entity (that's what my w2 shows irrespective of state and physical address). What address should I give now? W2 entity address or the entity address where I worked?

2) I joined this company in India and finally ended up in US. My company treats my start date as the date I joined in India and this is what is going to be shown in employment verification as well. What start date should I fill up on my online form?

Thank you so much in advance!

Best Regards,
      Nataraj

Comment

1) Use the information from W2 , name and address in your W2 are acceptable information about your work history.
        2) you need to fill your last 5 years of work history and travel, you need not go back more than 5 years of your N400 application date about work and travel history.

Comment

ronmony Thanks a lot.

Comment

Quick question on that #2

i personally worked 3 years and then i was out of work for 1 month before i started another job for 2 years. I wasn’t “unemployed”... well technically i was BUT. i chose to not work... and take a month off work to see what i really wanted to do..

is that a bad thing for immigration where there’s a gap of one month without work history? I simply didn’t put anything. It flagged as “ you have a gap here” but what am i gonna do. I’m not gonna lie i was working. I was home all month, taking a break.

Comment

There is no problem if you fill it unemployed even if it is long time, just maybe officer ask about your cost source and nothing more.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X