Tax Documents for Form N 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Documents for Form N 400

In the Documents Checklist for Form N 400, it is stated that 'An IRS tax return "Transcript" or an IRS certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years'. What kind of transcript it is asking for? The Tax Return Transcript provided by IRS online is available for last three years only. How to get five years transcript? and what is IRS certified tax return transcript?

It is asking for a tax return transcript that is available online. As you note you can download just the past 3 tax years. You can order the other 2 years by mail. Or download 2018 now, file 2021, and then download 2021 when it is ready and order just 2017.

Comment

Thank you Mike. That is helpful. I do not want to wait to complete N 400 application. Will there be problem if attach only past three years transcript?

Comment

Originally posted by Basu2022 View Post
        In the Documents Checklist for Form N 400, it is stated that 'An IRS tax return "Transcript" or an IRS certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years. What kind of transcript it is asking for? The Tax Return Transcript provided by IRS online is available for the last three years only. How to get five years transcript? and what is IRS certified tax return transcript?
        Hi Everyone

While looking at your post, I got a few questions related to IRS and taxes, as you guys are discussing for 5 years IRS Tax returns: I got mixed up with what tax documents we need to take to the interview. Could you please make me clear on this;

1. Should we just bring "Tax Return Transcript" officially printed from the IRS website or emailed OR do we need to print out like, "Wage and Tax Statement", Record of Account" that are listed in the website as well?
        2. Should we also take the copy of the Tax Return that we do every year separately along with the IRS website printed copies?
        3. Should we also include all the W-2 copies before we go to the interview?

Thanks
        Cricket123456

Comment

Hi Cricket123456, it clearly ask for "Tax Return Transcript", not the "Wage and Income Transcript". I am at the initial stage of filling form N 400. No idea about other documents to take for interview. By the way, did you submit tax return transcript with the form N 400?

Comment

Thank you Mike. That is helpful. I, do not want to wait to complete N 400 application. Will there be problem if attach only past three years transcript?
            Hi Basu2022
            My interview is scheduled for the month of April 2022. It is scheduled after 14 months, so it was a long wait for me. I actually did not submit the Tax Return Transcript along with the application instead, I submitted Tax Return copies (1040) for the last five years and certainly, I will bring IRS-issued Tax Return Transcript in the interview. But I am planning to bring all the documents (1040 copies +Tax Return Transcripts+ all W-2s+ Wage and Income Transcript + Account Transcript) because I have read in many threads, sometimes IO ask you to show if you owe any balances to the IRS? In this case. you can find a Zero balance in the Account Transcript.
            I hope this may help you with collecting the information as well.

Thanks

Comment

Thank you for your information Cricket123456. Do you have "Tax Return Transcript" for past five years to take in interview? It is available for past three years only in IRS website. I requested to get them in mail by requesting online, and it did not allow me to enter the date before three years. Anyway, I am also submitting the copies of 1040 for 5 years in N 400 application.
              Good luck for your interview, and come back to tell us how it goes.
              Last edited by Basu2022; 03-12-2022, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your information Cricket123456. Do you have "Tax Return Transcript" for past five years to take in interview? It is available for past three years only in IRS website. I requested to get them in mail by requesting online, and it did not allow me to enter the date before three years. Anyway, I am also submitting the copies of 1040 for 5 years in N 400 application.
                Good luck for your interview, and come back to tell us how it goes.

Hi Basu2022

Yes, I collected my Tax Return Transcript online because I knew for a long time that the Website provides us only 3 years at a time, that is why I started collecting for the last 2 years. But sometimes if you have 1040 yearly return copies that can substitute for Tax Return Transcript but the only issue I see is that it would not show any proof that if you owe any amount (Balance) to IRS. Otherwise, it should be ok. But, yes, you can call IRS and ask them to mail the hard copy of Transcript.
                Will, you also be taking W-2s for last year in your interview?
                I will definitely share the experience once I will be done with my interview.

Thanks
                Cricket123456

Comment

Originally posted by Cricket123456 View Post

Hi Basu2022
                  My interview is scheduled for the month of April 2022. It is scheduled after 14 months, so it was a long wait for me. I actually did not submit the Tax Return Transcript along with the application instead, I submitted Tax Return copies (1040) for the last five years and certainly, I will bring IRS-issued Tax Return Transcript in the interview. But I am planning to bring all the documents (1040 copies +Tax Return Transcripts+ all W-2s+ Wage and Income Transcript + Account Transcript) because I have read in many threads, sometimes IO ask you to show if you owe any balances to the IRS? In this case. you can find a Zero balance in the Account Transcript.
                  I hope this may help you with collecting the information as well.

Thanks
                  Hi Cricket,
                  Are you done with interview? how was it? please share your experience. What documents did you take with you in interview?

Comment

Hi Cricket,
                    Are you done with interview? how was it? please share your experience. What documents did you take with you in interview?
                    Hi Basu2022

Yes, I did my interview and completed it successfully. I thank everyone in this forum for their mutual contribution sharing knowledge in this long journey.
                    I was actually nervous before appearing for the interview, took every single piece of information including;
                    IRS documents (Tax Return transcripts/Wage and income transcripts/Account transcripts/W-2s/ 1040 forms).
                    Citations, DMV clearance report, and payments copies ( I had one last year and another one 7 years ago)
                    Copies of GC, Passports, Driver's License
                    All-Academic Certificates and licenses
                    Marriage Certificate
                    (if you are married), Birth certificates (self, Wife, and kids), All SSNs
                    Proof of Residence documents 3 months prior to filing naturalization application (Utility bill, paystub, bank statement)
                    Job offer letter if you have it available (since I wasn't working at the time of filing the application I brought it).
                    Interview letter.

Guess what, IO officer only asked about my recent citation letter and payment of proof, whether I paid it or not. She didn't chank anything else since I had submitted all the documents while filing the application but it is a better idea to bring everything with you in the interview because you will never know what type of Officer you are going to face.
                    They will go through the entire details that you submitted with your naturalization form, please do not miss anything and remember the application.
                    The IO officer asked the first 6 questions, then the writing and reading part which ended in 5 minutes. But took 10 minutes to ask the questions from the application and the entire process is done, IO officer congratulated and handed a piece of paper confirming "Recommended for Approval".
                    One thing I would say is to build up your confidence level, the process is not that hard but the pressure definitely gets built up at that time, take control of it.
                    Good Luck

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X