N400 and Green Card Expiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N400 and Green Card Expiration

Filed N400 on September 30th, 2021. Green Card expires March 27th 2022. In January I was about to renew my Green Card when I read the following:
    "If you file your N-400 at least 6 months before the expiration of your Permanent Resident Card, you can ask for an Appointment to request temporary evidence of your status (ADIT stamp) in lieu of filing for a new card. You can ask for an appointment by calling the USCIS Contact Center at: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)."

Sounded like a good idea to save $480 for a Green Card renewal that I would only need for a few months, having filed 6 months (September -> March) prior to expiration.

I called the number and each time it ended up with something like "your request does not meet the criteria for an appointment at this time". Not possible to get a human on the phone to explain why. Later I was able to start an online chat session and the agent put in a request for someone to call me. A couple of days ago I got email and text telling me I could expect a call in 1 or 2 business days. No call. However I got the email below. Again no explanation why. So now I'm back to where I was on February 14th in the chat session. My naturalization interview is scheduled for April 11th. I have no plans to travel and am self-employed and practically retired. Should I just let it expire or will that jeopardize my N400 application?
    Any idea why "your request does not meet the criteria for an appointment at this time"?

Yesterday's email:

"Thank you for your inquiry dated February 14, 2022.

About scheduling an appointment:

After a review of your inquiry, we have determined that your request does not meet the criteria for an appointment at this time. Moreover, it is important to keep your Permanent Resident Card up-to-date. Without a valid card, it may be difficult for you to prove that you are a permanent resident, and this could also affect your ability to travel or to prove your eligibility to work in the United States. You should renew your Permanent Resident Card if you were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within the next 6 months. Applying for naturalization does not remove the need to file an I-90 if your Permanent Resident Card is about to expire.
    • If you file your N-400 at least 6 months before the expiration of your Permanent Resident Card, you can ask for an Appointment to request temporary evidence of your status (ADIT stamp) in lieu of filing for a new card. You can ask for an appointment by calling the USCIS Contact Center at: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).
    • If you file the N-400 less than 6 months prior to your Permanent Resident Card expiring or lost, you should file an I-90 and pay the appropriate fee. Form I-90 is available on our website at www.uscis.gov/i-90. You may file Form I-90 by mail or you may file electronically at myaccount.uscis.gov.

If you have lost your Permanent Resident Card, you can still apply for naturalization. Although the application for naturalization asks for a copy of the card, you can submit a copy of any other entry document or a copy of a receipt showing that you have filed the Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

If you need more assistance with your USCIS online filing system account, please submit another inquiry to the USCIS Contact Center at

If you move remember to update your address in the USCIS online filing system or contact the USCIS Contact Center at . You must also update your address using our online tool at uscis.gov/addresschange.

If you have any other questions, please visit the USCIS Contact Center.

If you haven’t done so already, visit myaccount.uscis.gov to sign up for a USCIS online account where you can explore filing online, send us secure messages through your account inbox and get instant updates on the status of your case.

If you move, you must update your address with USCIS within 10 days using our online tool at uscis.gov/addresschange, and in your USCIS Online Account.

This mailbox is not monitored for incoming messages. Please do not reply to this message."

A green card is a document needed by permanent resident to enter United States. If it expires, it doesn't mean your permanent resident status also expires (Many US citizens don't have a US passport, doesn't mean they are not citizens as a passport is just a document for travel and ID purposes. Same applies to green card). If your N400 interview is near, you don't have to worry about renewing it by paying close to $500 if you are sure you don't have to travel overseas until you become a citizen and get a US passport. Expired greencard shouldn't have any effects on your N400 application.

Originally posted by FLFLYER View Post
    My naturalization interview is scheduled for April 11th. I have no plans to travel and am self-employed and practically retired. Should I just let it expire or will that jeopardize my N400 application?
    Last edited by Donald_Trump; 03-10-2022, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Thank you. That's a relief. Unless others here have different data I will stop worrying about it.

Looks like it's actually $540 now to renew ($455 + $85). I did not see any option to not pay the $85 biometerics fee, even though I was informed that I won't need that (of course after I paid the fee when filing the N400). The web site clearly states "no refunds", so I assume that includes the biometrics fee.

I thought I had read somewhere that I were to carry the green card with me at all times, but I can't find that statement now.

Again, thank you for your reply!

Comment

Yes, by law, it is required that PR carry their greencard always.

The enforcement of this law is not very strict and is only enforced in rare scenarios (Like during a workplace raid by immigration officials, or traveling close to Mexican border areas and returning back, etcetra).

But, it is not practical to carry a document in your wallet that requires a steep fee to replace if lost. It's not like a driver's license that takes about $25 to replace if lost!

You however, have a valid reason and good explanation for not renewing ur gc for a steep fee as your N400 interview is very close.

I thought I had read somewhere that I were to carry the green card with me at all times, but I can't find that statement now.
        Last edited by Donald_Trump; 03-12-2022, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Just a follow up. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday.

I'm now a US Citizen!

My interview was yesterday afternoon in Jacksonville, FL.

After the interview I was asked to wait.

Then I took the oath and was presented with the naturalization certificate..

No problem with the 2 weeks expired green card at all.

Super nice interviewer and other officers!

Of course I've legally been in the US for 30+ years and studied hard for the civics test, including reading the constitution and the 27 amendments.

So others' experience may be different. But I was positively impressed and very thankful for not needing to make an additional 220 mile drive for the oath ceremony.

Comment

Great, Congrats. It's good that you got your oath on the same date. Enjoy!

Just a follow up. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday.

I'm now a US Citizen!

My interview was yesterday afternoon in Jacksonville, FL.

After the interview I was asked to wait.

Then I took the oath and was presented with the naturalization certificate..

No problem with the 2 weeks expired green card at all.

Super nice interviewer and other officers!

Of course I've legally been in the US for 30+ years and studied hard for the civics test, including reading the constitution and the 27 amendments.

So others' experience may be different. But I was positively impressed and very thankful for not needing to make an additional 220 mile drive for the oath ceremony.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X