Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel outside the US after filling N400 before Green Card Anniversary

Hello,

I have recently submitted my N-400 application for naturalization after 4 years and 9 months of holding a green card. My 5-year green card anniversary will be in June, and I have already received a scheduled biometrics appointment at the end of this month. However, I have upcoming travel plans before completing the full 5 years of my green card, and I am seeking advice on the following questions:

1. Can I travel outside the U.S. before completing the full 5 years of my green card, even though I have submitted my N-400 application? Will this impact my naturalization process in any way?

2. As my N-400 application does not include my upcoming travel plans, do I need to notify the USCIS about my future travel plans before completing the 5 years of my green card?

3. Can I travel outside the U.S. before or after completing the full 5 years of my green card, even if I am able to attend all the upcoming appointments without any issues? Will this potentially delay my naturalization process?

Any insights or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

The only way travelling will have an effect is if it jeopardizes your physical or continuous presence requirements that are required to be met for N-400. If these are just short trips abroad then you will be totally fine. If this trip is more than or if all the short trips add up to more than 6 months in a one year window then this would affect your application!

At the interview stage the Officer will go through your application and you can update it then with your most recent travel history.

You were able to travel abroad anytime while you had your GC so i'm not sure why you keep on bringing this 5 year period up. The only time when you legit can not travel abroad is after the Oath ceremony and before you receive your US passport.

Hopefully I answered your questions! If not let me know!

Comment

Thank you for your Answer.

My only concern is the N400 form has a section for past travel history for the last 5 years. Since I have already submitted my N400 form, it does not include any travel details between today and my green card anniversary date. Due to this, I do not know how it will impact my naturalization interview

Comment

Originally posted by kianz View Post
        Thank you for your Answer.

My only concern is the N400 form has a section for past travel history for the last 5 years. Since I have already submitted my N400 form, it does not include any travel details between today and my green card anniversary date. Due to this, I do not know how it will impact my naturalization interview
        It won't affect it unless these new trips put you over the physical or continuous presence requirement. If it make you feel better I did a short trip home to see my folks and just updated my travel dates at the interview. I think why they initially ask you to put all your travel dates is to make sure you qualify for n-400 to begin with!

How long will these new trips be and how long have your previous trips been?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X