Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact of divorce on N-400 process {Employment Based GC}

Hi all,

I have an employment based green card (Primary beneficiary).

I am going through a divorce process in my home country, where the marriage took place.

Does this have any impact on my N-400 process at all?

Please advise and share your feedback

If you are naturalizing based on the 3-year rule (i.e. permanent resident for 3 years, married to US citizen for 3 years), if the divorce is final before you naturalize, you are no longer to naturalize based on the 3-year rule. (But a separation does not by itself affect naturalization, as long as you were living in marital union up until you filed N-400.)

If you are naturalizing based on the 5-year rule, there should be no effect.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by EngineerMan View Post
      Hi all,

I have an employment based green card (Primary beneficiary).

I am going through a divorce process in my home country, where the marriage took place.

Does this have any impact on my N-400 process at all?

Please advise and share your feedback
      Where does each spouse reside?

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        If you are naturalizing based on the 3-year rule (i.e. permanent resident for 3 years, married to US citizen for 3 years), if the divorce is final before you naturalize, you are no longer to naturalize based on the 3-year rule. (But a separation does not by itself affect naturalization, as long as you were living in marital union up until you filed N-400.)

A very information you have shared so far. Very helpful. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E View Post

Where does each spouse reside?
          Both spouses residing in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

Thanks for the update. Here is some additional information.

I received my permanent residency through my employer, making me the primary beneficiary.
            My spouse received permanent residency through me as a secondary beneficiary.

I will be filing for my naturalization based on the 5-year rule, since my employment based green card does not provide a path to naturalize in 3Y anyway.
            Does the divorce impact my naturalization at all?

Comment

since my employment based green card does not provide a path to naturalize in 3Y anyway.
              The 3-year rule does not care about how you got your green card.

Does the divorce impact my naturalization at all?
              no

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Both spouses residing in the US.
                Then the divorce must be filed in the U.S. The U.S. will not recognize a divorce between two U.S. residents that takes place in a foreign country.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X