Indian Citizenship for the child born in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Citizenship for the child born in US

Hi, I want to know the process for getting Indian citizenship for the child born in USA.

Can we use US Birth certificate to apply a passport in India?
    Can we use US Birth certificate to apply a passport in Indian Consulate?

For a newly born baby in USA can we opt for Indian citizenship? how we can get Indian passport in USA once baby is born?

If the answer is YES for above question i think we would require US visa to enter USA again?

Thank you

Will save you a lot issues down the road, as my friends asked the same question.

Do not apply for Indian Citizenship for your child. You are simply creating a headache for your child for the rest of his life when he travels, or anything else.

If you don't believe me give the Indian consulate a call, and ask them how you apply, and see what the Indian consulate tells you! (it will be same information).

To the question: Take up OCI for your child with retaining the US passport, and citizenship!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by desiguy2447; 04-23-2011, 09:50 AM. Reason: removed the word son as the user did not say if the child was girl or a boy.

Comment

Originally posted by desiguy2447 View Post
      To the question: Take up OCI for your child with retaining the US passport, and citizenship!

Hope this helps!
      OCI does not apply to this case. Only PIO.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

His child can apply for OCI if this guy holds an Indian passport. If not then yes, the child will need to go in for a PIO. For OCI one parent needs to have been Indian citizen for applying.
        (That is how I, and many others have gotten OCI).

We won't know till this person replies back in this forum!

Comment

Actually, it is the other way round. To apply for OCI for a child, at least one parent needs to non-Indian citizen of Indian origin. If both parents are currently Indian citizens, no OCI for the child. Only PIO.
          Immihelp Support
          No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

This is what can be done...
            Apply Indian PP at the consulate with birth certificate. Both parents should hold Indian PP.
            After getting indian PP apply USA PP.
            Cancel Indian PP after getting USA PP.
            Now you are eligible for OCI since you had Indian PP earlier.

Any suggestions anyone?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X