Accidentally registered to, N-400 denied, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally registered to, N-400 denied, please help

I applied for citizenship on March 5th 2009, I had my interview July 21st 2009, I was asked if I had ever registered to vote and I admitted to accidentally check a box to register while renewing my license or state ID. A few weeks later I received a letter that said:

“Please provide evidence of your voter registration, along with evidence of weather you actually voted. This evidence can be obtained from the county clerk’s office in the county in which you reside or in which you registered to vote. Please also provide evidence to suggest whether you have cancelled your voter registration.”

I went to the county clerk’s office and cancelled my registration that very day. I have no voting record because I have never voted. I sent in all the paper work, on September 13th 2010 I received a letter saying:

“Please provide a certified copy of your voter’s registration from the board of elections. According to the cancellation you submitted it appears that you registered first on 11/27/2001 and then again on 8/23/2008. We need a certified copy of both of these registrations in order to adjudicate your application.”

2008 was accidental registration I told them about in the interview. The registration in 2001 I have no recollection of, I’m not quite sure how it’s even possible as I was only 12 years old. I called the board of elections in the city I resided in in 2001 and I was told that I am not in the system, that they have no record of me ever voting or being registered to vote. On March 16th I received another letter, it read

“Please submit the 1) copy of your Voter Registration Application Form from the board of elections showing the date you registered to vote. 2) A statement from you explaining the circumstances of the voting registration.”

All I had to provide was the same cancellation form showing I had never voted. I also wrote a letter explaining the situation of both registrations. On May 9, 2011(today) I received a letter that read:

DECISION
    “On July 21, 2009, you appeared for an examination of your application for naturalization, which was filled in accordance with section 316(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
    Pursuant to the investigation and examination of your application it is determined that you are ineligible for naturalization for the following reasons.”

Reason: Poor Moral Character

Conclusion: You are unable to establish good moral character as required under 8 CFR 316.10. Therefore, after a careful review of your record, your application for naturalization filed on March 5, 2009, must be denied. If you do not accept this decision, you may appeal and request a hearing on a decision in naturalization proceedings pursuant to 336 of the INA.

Should I file an appeal? ($650) what are my chances of winning? Somewhere in the packet was the word “deportable”, am I going to get deported? What should I do next? Need advice, please help

I would suggest that you speak to an immigration lawyer. It looks like there is an error with the 2001 record and you should be able to explain the 2008 record. Since you never voted I guess you would have a good chance. I am not a lawyer though, hence, go and seek professional advice.

Comment

hi, what happened next? I hope everything went well...

Comment

I am not a U.S. citizen. I voted in the U.S. What should I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Saruda View Post
          I am not a U.S. citizen. I voted in the U.S. What should I do?
          Get a lawyer, that is considered fraud!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X