Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on J2 visa while waiting for H1B processing

Dear All,

I and my husband are working in U.S. on separate J-1 visas. He obtained the NOC certificate and applied for a J-1 waiver to DOS and waiting to hear from them, meanwhile his current J-1 visa will only be valid till 31st July. His University will apply for academic H1B visa as soon as the J1-waiver comes through. However with the suspension of H1B premium processing from April 3 till Oct. 1, the H1B processing might take upto 9 months.. this means he will not be able to continue his work for the interim months between J-1 expiry and H1B approval.

Is it possible that he can continue his work as my J2 dependent while waiting for his H1B application processing? My confusion arises from the point that I have not applied for a waiver on my own J-1 visa.. so will becoming my J2 dependent, force him to get another J-waiver ? Will his H1B processing get affected by adjustment to J2 status in the interim months?

Will be thankful for your advice!

Originally posted by aviantask View Post
    Dear All,

I and my husband are working in U.S. on separate J-1 visas. He obtained the NOC certificate and applied for a J-1 waiver to DOS and waiting to hear from them, meanwhile his current J-1 visa will only be valid till 31st July. His University will apply for academic H1B visa as soon as the J1-waiver comes through. However with the suspension of H1B premium processing from April 3 till Oct. 1, the H1B processing might take upto 9 months.. this means he will not be able to continue his work for the interim months between J-1 expiry and H1B approval.

Is it possible that he can continue his work as my J2 dependent while waiting for his H1B application processing? My confusion arises from the point that I have not applied for a waiver on my own J-1 visa.. so will becoming my J2 dependent, force him to get another J-waiver ? Will his H1B processing get affected by adjustment to J2 status in the interim months?

Will be thankful for your advice!
    You should ask those doing the H1B visa for him. J2 dependents might also need a J-1 waiver so you don't want to do all that again. Universities are probably coming with a contingency plan.

I'm in a similar situation with an university doing H1B for me. I am applying for the J-1 waiver in the next couple of days, but unfortunately I just found out I had to apply for it (it is from a J-1 I had for 20 days a long long time ago).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X