Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k3 visa, and domicile requirements

Hi all,
    My situation is, I am Canadian and my wife (2+years) is American. My wife has lived in Canada almost her entire life, we were married in Canada, and we live in Canada today. We bought a place in the United States (under my name), and plan to move in once I am legally allowed to do so. The sooner the better, so we are planning to go the route of the K3 visa if possible.

Thinking about domicile requirements, I know my wife (as petitioner and sponsor) has to be domiciled in the United States in order to sponsor me.

Questions:
    a) Is it ok that the I-130 we sent off has our current address in Canada as my wife's present address? We wrote our U.S. address as the address I plan to move to upon arrival in the U.S., but our current address was stated as in Canada.

b) As I understand it, my wife has to establish domicile in the United States before my K3 visa is accepted. Is this correct? Does my wife present evidence for the U.S. domicile at our Consular meeting, or is the proof of domicile required earlier in the process?

c) How much evidence is necessary for proof of domicile?

We can present a deed for the U.S. house we plan to live in (in my name), a recent SSN card request for my wife (she had lost the number), a bank account opened in the U.S. near where we plan to live, ...... what else can she do to establish domicile? (She won't be looking for work in the U.S., as we have a baby she'll be taking care of.) Or do you think this is enough?

Thanks!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X