Filing while working abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing while working abroad

I am an American citizen who has taught abroad for the past 7 years. Last year I moved Thailand where I met and fell in love with a colleague. She is a Filipina teacher who has also worked abroad for several years. We would like to get married but are unsure of the best route to take as I am not living or working in the US.

I understand that a petition for the K1 visa must be submitted from the US. I will be traveling home this summer so can apply at that time. The visa interview can take place at the Embassy in Bangkok.

We both intend to fulfil our work contracts in Thailand through June 2016. After which we would like to move to the US, find work and get married.

Will I be an eligible sponsor on a foreign work contract? Will we be able to set a time frame in order to complete our contracts? Is the Fiancé Visa/ marriage/ adjustment of status route the best for our unique situation? Should we consider an alternative avenue?

Thank you in advance for your help.

You can marry and submit your petition package to USCIS stateside by mail.

Once the petition is approved and goes to the National Visa Center, you will have to be the primary sponsor, but can use a Stateside co-sponsor.

You will need a U.S. address to use as the destination for you and your wife after she receives her visa.

--Ray B

Originally posted by teaching-abroad View Post
    I am an American citizen who has taught abroad for the past 7 years. Last year I moved Thailand where I met and fell in love with a colleague. She is a Filipina teacher who has also worked abroad for several years. We would like to get married but are unsure of the best route to take as I am not living or working in the US.

I understand that a petition for the K1 visa must be submitted from the US. I will be traveling home this summer so can apply at that time. The visa interview can take place at the Embassy in Bangkok.

We both intend to fulfil our work contracts in Thailand through June 2016. After which we would like to move to the US, find work and get married.

Will I be an eligible sponsor on a foreign work contract? Will we be able to set a time frame in order to complete our contracts? Is the Fiancé Visa/ marriage/ adjustment of status route the best for our unique situation? Should we consider an alternative avenue?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X