Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which visa do I apply for?

Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I'm not too sure where to start. I've been in a long distance relationship for about a year. My boyfriend lives in Texas and I live in Canada. I've visited him and I loved being with him, so now I would like to move the quickest way I can. I would like to work when I get there and I would like it to be more permanent. All the info I can find on work visas, you need to have a job to sponsor you before you come, and they are not permanent. I'm wondering if it would be faster and easier to move there on a Fiance visa, and roughly how long everything would take to happen. The only thing with this is I'd prefer to marry in Mexico, but from what I have read, this makes the process longer, and could create problems for re-entry as on a fiance visa, you cannot leave the US once you enter. As long as we marry within the 90 days, will I be able to stay and work in the US? Does it matter where we marry? Is it better to stay?
    Do I also need to fill out an application form prior to applying for the fiance visa?
    If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it!!

A K1 visa is for aliens getting married in the United States to United States citizen. If you would like to get married in Mexico, do so, and then your husband can file the appropriate forms. You will be interviewed at the US consulate nearest your residence (ie in Canada), and then be granted a visa to enter the United States. You will get your green card in the mail 6 weeks after entering the United States.

The absolute quickest but riskiest route to living and working the USA is to fraudulently enter the United States as a tourist (no visa required), and then get married and file the appropriate paperwork. I think many folks get away with this, but the consequences of being given the Fraud label by immigration authorities are very harsh.

Edit: yes you will need to fill out forms - lots of forms - for a fiancee or immigrant visa. This is a very form-driven society, for better or worse.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X