Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landed in the US with my K1 Visa - so confused as to whats next after marriage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landed in the US with my K1 Visa - so confused as to whats next after marriage!!

Right off the bat, thank you to everyone here providing help and insight to those immigrating!

I'm a Canadian with a K1 visa issued on the 28th of February and have now moved to Boston to marry my finance as of March 10th, and couldn't be happier!
    Our wedding date is set for March 31st.You

I confused as to what the next steps are, if any, before the wedding.

-Should I apply for a SSN right away or after the wedding? This seems to be pretty straight forward process at one of their offices. Do I just need the application form and my passport with visa.

-I am not sure if am allowed to look for work with just a SSN? I think I have to file a AOS (Adjustment of Status) after the wedding date and then wait for a green card. Or does a K1 Visa holder also have to apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document)?

Online world is confusing, with multiple answers which is why I signed up today and wanted to post to hopefully get a more clear response from the helpful group here.

TIA

You're entitled to an SSN as soon as you arrive. As a practical matter, you want to wait 2 weeks for their computer systems to update with your info, and you want to bring in "additional identification" (see Form SS-5 instructions) in addition to your passport and I-94

Comment

An SSN by itself won't allow you to work. (You won't have the documents to satisfy the I-9, for example.) You will need to wait until you have an EAD or green card to work.

You can apply for an EAD on the basis of K-1 status (category A6) but DON'T do that -- it is just throwing your money down the toilet -- the EAD from K-1 will expire when your K-1 status does, which is 90 days from entry, and the EAD will take about 90 days to get, so you will get very little or no time on the EAD, and it costs $410.

Instead, you should apply for an EAD for free (as well as an Advance Parole for free) together with applying for Adjustment of Status. This is EAD category C9. This EAD/AP will allow you to work and/or travel while the Adjustment of Status is pending.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
        You're entitled to an SSN as soon as you arrive. As a practical matter, you want to wait 2 weeks for their computer systems to update with your info, and you want to bring in "additional identification" (see Form SS-5 instructions) in addition to your passport and I-94
        Thanks inadmissible

I assume the i-94 is the stamp I got on my passport as I was not given anything else. They kept the packet I was given at the border. I'll go ahead and apply for this now!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        An SSN by itself won't allow you to work. (You won't have the documents to satisfy the I-9, for example.) You will need to wait until you have an EAD or green card to work.

You can apply for an EAD on the basis of K-1 status (category A6) but DON'T do that -- it is just throwing your money down the toilet -- the EAD from K-1 will expire when your K-1 status does, which is 90 days from entry, and the EAD will take about 90 days to get, so you will get very little or no time on the EAD, and it costs $410.

Instead, you should apply for an EAD for free (as well as an Advance Parole for free) together with applying for Adjustment of Status. This is EAD category C9. This EAD/AP will allow you to work and/or travel while the Adjustment of Status is pending.
        Thanks newacct.

I will take your advice and apply for the EAD with my Adjustment of Status after we getting married!

Does anyone know how the Advance Parole works. From my understanding, this is applied for each time I want to leave the country and come back in ie: honeymoon, etc. Or can it be used multiple times?

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck99 View Post
          I assume the i-94 is the stamp I got on my passport as I was not given anything else.
          No, that's the entry stamp. For people arriving by air since mid-2013, you get an electronic I-94. You print it out from here.

Originally posted by Canuck99 View Post
          Does anyone know how the Advance Parole works. From my understanding, this is applied for each time I want to leave the country and come back in ie: honeymoon, etc. Or can it be used multiple times?
          It can be used multiple times.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Take it Easy! Relax..

Hello:

You have a long way to go.. just relax and follow immigration procedures patiently. You have to ensure that all the required documents are ready before filing I 485. The first thing is Marriage Certificate and the Affidavit of Support. Also, you will have to do medical check ups, which you can do with an immigration authorized Indian doctor for cheaper price.

When filing I 485, you can apply for EAD, and if needed, Advanced Parole. Most probably you are going to get an interview. Once approved, wait for 2 years to remove the conditions on green card. Then wait for 1 more year.. file Naturalization application.. most probably an interview, and Citizenship test.. If you pass... Yes! your journey is over.. you are a Citizen!!!!!!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X