Need help with Expiring Passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Expiring Passports

So I'm currently going through my Adjustment of status (I'm sitting waiting for my EAD card, currently around the 115 day mark which is an absolute nightmare).

All I can do is wait but that aside my current passport expires in August and I am probably going to need to go back to England for a wedding in September (I'm best man). I know I have to apply for leave authorization but obviously I need a new passport to travel.

Does anyone have experience with getting a new passport while going through Adjustment of status. Obviously I will need to keep my old passport as it has my stamps / labels in but I will need a new one to travel. Can I get my visas and stamps into a new one if I do get a new one?

Where is the best place to organise a new passport and will getting a new passport have any affect on my current adjustment of status application? I am living near Philadelphia.

Originally posted by tjmidge View Post
    So I'm currently going through my Adjustment of status (I'm sitting waiting for my EAD card, currently around the 115 day mark which is an absolute nightmare).

All I can do is wait but that aside my current passport expires in August and I am probably going to need to go back to England for a wedding in September (I'm best man). I know I have to apply for leave authorization but obviously I need a new passport to travel.

Does anyone have experience with getting a new passport while going through Adjustment of status. Obviously I will need to keep my old passport as it has my stamps / labels in but I will need a new one to travel. Can I get my visas and stamps into a new one if I do get a new one?

Where is the best place to organise a new passport and will getting a new passport have any affect on my current adjustment of status application? I am living near Philadelphia.
    Passport doesn't matter for I-485; you are not required to have a passport to adjust status. Getting a new passport has no effect on it. You just have to worry about how easy it is to get a passport from the consulate of your country of nationality (some countries have requirements like you have to show proof of current status in the US which might be a pain for someone in AOS).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Usually, if the passport is expired but the visa is not, you travel with the old passport with the visa and the new passport. My sister and aunt do that because their passport with the visa stamp is expired but the visa is not. U should call your home country and query on how to get a passport from here. My grandparents got their new passports right here in Washington but they paid more than the actual passport cost so it's possible once your country has an agency here, just call them to find out.
      Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
      Priority Date: 01/22/2018
      Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
      Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
      Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
      Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
      EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
      EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
      SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
      GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
      Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
      I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
      GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

thanks for the reply guys.

does anyone know if it is possible to apply for a new passport (British) without sending in my old passport.

Every way I can see online requires me to send in my old passport, even the new online method, however; I need my current passport incase I get called in for my Adjustment of status interview. Also need it for State ID applications, Driving license applications etc.

Think I'm pretty much screwed or will have to wait until after my Adjustment of status interview.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X