Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father-in-Law's Complete DOB Unknown for Supplemental Form I-130a

Hello all,

I am currently working with my wife, who is a British citizen (England) on filling out Form I-130 and Form I-130a Supplemental Form details for her emigration to the USA. She is currently in Ireland finishing university and I am in the USA, where I myself am from, working. My wife has been living there as a resident for nearly 20 years, but she is a British citizen as her mother is English and my wife was born in Southampton, England.

On the Supplemental Form I-130a, it asks information about 'Parent 1' and 'Parent 2'. Her mother is 'Parent 1' and getting the information about her is no problem as my wife currently lives with her mother in Ireland and is close with her. We are, however, struggling with her father's DOB (date of birth) in terms of his birth DAY. We now know the month and the year. He has been absent from the family for 15+ years, and my wife and her mom's side of the family do not keep in touch with my father-in-law and his side of the family. My mother-in-law is currently trying to find records that have his DOB DAY on it, but she can't remember his DOB day. I have tried searching online for birth records, but have found nothing except his marriage record to my mother-in-law, but there are no DOBs listed on the record. My wife has searched and is still searching also. His DOB is not on my wife's birth certificate either as he did not sign it (he wasn't there when my wife was born) and, under English law, only one parent needs to be present to make a child legally documented by signing the birth certificate. Guess which one was there? The English one, her mother, so there is no DOB for my father-in-law on that either.

I understand on the 'additional information' page on the last page of the visa application (or pretty much any USA visa application for that matter), you can put the 'page number', the 'part number', and the 'item number' and explain why a piece of information is absent or altered. If we cannot find his DOB on anything, would it be acceptable to just put his birth month and year down as that is the only DOB-related information that is known of him, and then explain why the day is not there? Would there be an issue with this? Any advice?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Father-in-Law's Complete DOB Unknown for Supplemental Form I-130a

This will not be an issue. Lots of people do not even know the names of their fathers and just leave that slot blank. If you want to put in partial information you can, or you can just leave this blank. My husband knew his father's name and that was it. When filing AOS we just left this area blank.

Comment

Don't leave it blank. You can write in something like "unknown" or "not sure".

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X