Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, not sure where to start

Hello,
    I'm ready to start the process to try to bring my girlfriend, who currently resides in Thailand, to the US to live with me. We have decided that we are interested in getting her a K1 visa. Before I start the process, her situation confuses me as to where I need to start the process, and the best method to go about this process. I've detailed the complications of the situation below:

- She was born in Myanmar, and raised there until she was 14 years old.
    - At 14, she and her Aunt moved to Thailand to stay.
    - While in Thailand, she was able to get a Thai ID card. She was told that she could use her Birthname, or she could choose a name that more closely resembles a Thai person living close to the border of Myanmar, so this ID card has a different name on it than the documentation for her birth has on it.
    - She currently lives and works in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
    - Her father died when she was young, and she tells me that there is no-one in her village, and no documentation to provide his exact birthdate.
    - I sent her to Myanmar last summer, so she could obtain a passport. She got a visa to Thailand, which upon expiration she went back to Myanmar, then came back to Thailand on her Thai ID card, which she currently has a work permit under.

My questions are below:

- I nearly have the I-129F form filled out entirely. Will it be a problem to leave the day of the month blank for her fathers birthdate since nobody seems to know this? Under City/Country that he currently lives, should I just enter "deceased", or leave them blank, or should I enter something entirely different?
    - Should I submit the application to the US embassy in Myanmar, or should I submit the application to the US Embassy in Thailand in order to request the visa.
    - Is there anything else I should be looking out for in regards to our situation? Any tips are appreciated.

Thank You.

Josh

Hey Josh,
    1. You shouldn't leave something like a birthdate blank. You should at least write your best guess at it. Otherwise, write "unknown". And if the USCIS wants to investigate further about the issue, they will send you an RFE. But my feeling is that they'll see the "unknown" and ignore it. Under where he lives, you may write "deceased".
    2. The I-129F is sent to the USCIS in the US. Embassies don't process petitions, they hold interviews for applicants.
    3. Keep reading and researching about filling out the paperwork correctly. It sounds like your paperwork may have some technical issues because of the lack of documentation and paperwork trails. Try your best to get official documentation.
    --Good luck--
    Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X