US/Australian marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US/Australian marriage

I've been scouring these pages, other forums, articles, government websites, and I can't locate anything specific to my situation.

I am a US-born American citizen engaged to an Australian. Marrying in Australia is much more expensive than in the US (which is still costly), so we were thinking of saving some money and getting married in Canada.
    We would like to live in the US permanently.
    We do not want to be separated after he comes to North America. This is a non-negotiable.
    The intent IS for us to get married, so him coming over on the VWP isn't the right option. What are the correct visa(s) we need to apply for?
    Is there a better way for us to go about getting married, and live in the US, without being physically separated during any stage of the process?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Originally posted by microgal56 View Post
    I've been scouring these pages, other forums, articles, government websites, and I can't locate anything specific to my situation.

I am a US-born American citizen engaged to an Australian. Marrying in Australia is much more expensive than in the US (which is still costly), so we were thinking of saving some money and getting married in Canada.
    We would like to live in the US permanently.
    We do not want to be separated after he comes to North America. This is a non-negotiable.
    The intent IS for us to get married, so him coming over on the VWP isn't the right option. What are the correct visa(s) we need to apply for?
    Is there a better way for us to go about getting married, and live in the US, without being physically separated during any stage of the process?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
    You can go for a fiance K1 visa. However, you must get married within the US for that, not in Canada. With the K-1 you get her to come here and marry.
    --Good luck--
    Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X