Is K1 Visa Needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is K1 Visa Needed?

If my fiance has a passport from a country that does not need a visa to visit the US does he still need to apply for the K1 Visa to start the immigration process? He comes to the US about twice a year with his normal passport. Would we not be able to just get married when comes to US again and then start the process?

Originally posted by bigtntx View Post
    If my fiance has a passport from a country that does not need a visa to visit the US does he still need to apply for the K1 Visa to start the immigration process? He comes to the US about twice a year with his normal passport. Would we not be able to just get married when comes to US again and then start the process?
    It's risky because tourist visas do not allow dual intent. So if USCIS thinks that your fiance came to get married, you could have a misrepresentation of intent issue. If someone comes to the US and gets married within a certain period of time (you'd have to check, I think it's 60 or 90 days), there is a presumption that they came with intent to marry, which is a visa violation.

Your fiance cannot lie about their intent to come to the US & get married, basically.

A lot of people do it, sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not.
    2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
    4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
    4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
    4/19: Request to expedite EAD
    5/11: Received EAD
    6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
    8/09: Advance Parole approved
    8/29: Scheduled for Interview
    10/11: Interview
    10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
    10/16: Sent new G28
    10/19: Approved!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X