College Student-How to show income on I-134

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Student-How to show income on I-134

Wow. This is sure a whirlwind of a process. I was about to submit my I-129 and the $455 check until I really considered the idea that when my fiance gets to his interview, we may not get approved.

I am a college graduate and will be attending grad school in the fall. I have always supported myself very well, but have piece-mealed jobs together to gain experience and supplement income while in school. I am currently substitute teaching and will work a job during the summer, and then the fun of grad school begins.

How do I show sufficient income for my I-134? Anyone with direct experience will greatly help. I have seen some forums that say fiance visas cannot have co-sponsors. Is this true? If so, who is eligible to be a co-sponsor?

Everything else within the application is solid. My fiance and I are very organized, educated individuals. We have true love, which should be no problem proving to the embassy and anyone else who needs to approve the case. The most important thing is that we are together. I want to ensure there are no quirks with the I-134 section.

Please send any advice you may have.

All the best to a beautiful day.

K-1 Evidence of Support Form I-134

You can have a co-sponsor. It can be anybody willing to do it. You just have to come up with 125% of the poverty level. The 2008 guidelines are here- http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/08poverty.shtml

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for confirming I am able to have a co-sponsor. I read that some consulates are allowing this and others are not. The consulate I specifically was concerned about was Chennai. We shall proceed with happiness
      Best,
      Jennifer

Comment

Chennai warning

I have read many cases of fiances having a traditional Indian ceremony in India but without signing papers or making it an official legal marriage. Apparently this is very important to many Indian couples. Then they show pictures at the interview of themselves at the ceremony to establish that they have an ongoing relationship. They are denied the K1 visa because the officer says they are already married and must start over with the K3 visa. No amount of explaining that it wasn't a legal marriage will change the officers mind. This happened in Chennai last month. The officer made the applicant sign a paper that she was withdrawing the K1 petition without being able to get legal advice or call her fiance. So it's very risky to have that kind of ceremony, but be very aware not to show any pictures or post them on the internet or email to friends if you do. One couple (don't remember which Indian embassy) said they did not bring pictures, but saw their ceremony pictures in the files that the officer had. They did not know how the embassy had those pictures. They were denied also. It's a long process to have to start over.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X