Process and duration of K1 visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process and duration of K1 visa

I am curious how long the K1 visa takes. I know that it depends from case to case, but just a rough people estimate of how long it has taken others.

I the USCIS website indicates 5 months, is that 5 months for USCIS to approve and not the actual time from the date of application and the receipt of NOA-1 to the actual visa?

Again, rough estimates would help me in planning.

Thanks in advance!

Could be 30 days, 5 months or a year. 5 months is the goal of the USCIS in processing from the NOA1 date. Depends on where you file, how many other petitions are there, manpower and many other factors. Sit back, take the time to read here and other sites. All the basic questions have been asked and answered before.
    November 2009- Met online
    May 13,2010- Visited her in Cebu, Philippines
    July 01, 2010- I-129F mailed Cali office VIA USPS
    July 03,2010 confirmed delivery to USCIS VIA USPS
    July 06,2010 recieved by USCIS
    July 12, 2010 I-797C NOA1 mailed by USCIS
    July 21,2010 Received I-797C

Comment

Thanks!

I am in the process of applying and wanted to make sure that I can do everything I can so as to not delay the already long process.

Comment

Originally posted by h1k1f1 View Post
        I am curious how long the K1 visa takes. I know that it depends from case to case, but just a rough people estimate of how long it has taken others.

I the USCIS website indicates 5 months, is that 5 months for USCIS to approve and not the actual time from the date of application and the receipt of NOA-1 to the actual visa?

Again, rough estimates would help me in planning.

Thanks in advance!
        All depends USCIS state 5 months on site but we never know.

Mailed 129f 22nd Feb 2010
        Received receipt 9th March NOA1
        NOA2 Approved 22nd June 2010
        Sent to NVC then to consulate Australia 1st week of July
        Packet 3 22nd July sent documents 23rd July
        Received packet 4 next week, interview 17th August
        Arrived LA 4th Sept

Comment

First off, it varies by whether California or Vermont USCIS is working on your case. If you look at a graph, it's like a roller coaster for length of time to approve--the lead changes places too. Some people get delayed because they leave things out of their submission. People getting I-129F petitions approved today applied an average of 95 days ago (VSC) and 116 days ago (CSC).

Then case has to be sent to National visa center--5 days if all goes well
          NVC is the "handoff" from USCIS to the Dept of State. USCIS is done at this point.

NVC assigns a new case number for DOS and forwards to foreign embassy--4 days

Case travels overseas by DHL courier service--4 days

Foreign embassy receives case and there's another great variable depending on the consulate. Graph's would again show a roller coaster.
          Examples of days from received to interview--
          London 85 - Last Oct 60 - Mar 120
          Manila 55 - Last Oct 40 - Mar 75
          Montrel 103 - Last Oct 80 - Mar 145
          Bangkok 101 - Last Oct 50 - Mar 40

Some of the time reflected in the data is because people weren't ready with their consulate paperwork. To speed things up, read ahead about what happens overseas and have the proper documents ready. When my fiance received "instructions" from the embassy, we already had the visa application forms filled in, my tax returns and I-134, police certicate in hand, birth certificate, immunizations done, and the visa medical appointment booked. He was able to return his part the same day he got the instructions on what to do next.

Some people take 2 months to order all those documents and prepare their part for the embassy stage. How busy a consulate is can't be changed, but your preparation to "get in line" for an interview assignment by having your documents ready is your way to speed things up.

Comment

I am still waiting for our I-129f approval - on the 27th of this month we will have been waiting for 5 months...

Comment

Thank you all. I'm at the initial stage of applying for my I-129f. I have collected all the documents already and am ready to submit them.

Anybody have an idea of how long it's taken them for a fiance in India?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by mishellibelli View Post
                I am still waiting for our I-129f approval - on the 27th of this month we will have been waiting for 5 months...
                what country is your fiance from?

Comment

Originally posted by sheenaspapi View Post
                  Could be 30 days, 5 months or a year. 5 months is the goal of the USCIS in processing from the NOA1 date. Depends on where you file, how many other petitions are there, manpower and many other factors. Sit back, take the time to read here and other sites. All the basic questions have been asked and answered before.
                  Im just curious what country your fiance was from? We filed our petition June 4th and still have not heard anything. My fiance is from Argentina.

Comment

Fiancee from india.

USCIS does say 5 months for processing. But independent sites say different.

I want to know what the general duration people here have been trhough

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X