Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My girlfriend of 4 year's OPT is expiring in February 2012, and it's about that time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My girlfriend of 4 year's OPT is expiring in February 2012, and it's about that time.

I've been dating my girlfriend for 4 years. She was here from 2007-2010 on a Student Visa, and has been working on OPT since then. Her OPT expires in the beginning of February 2012, and I'm currently exploring options. I planned to propose to her in November or December of this year, but I've been swamped in the process of buying a business and a house for myself, and we'll both be transitioning into something of a new lifestyle in the coming months, so I'm exploring my options relative to all that, coupled with the 4 months and change she has left here.

Marriage still seems like the logical option at this point, but I honestly don't know how these matters work in our situation; when I'd have to propose by, if her becoming my fiance and applying for a Fiance Visa will extend her window to allow for adequate wedding planning and marriage counseling, not to mention the big transition we're heading into with my business acquisition and moving to a new home. There's just a lot going on in our lives right now, and I really don't want to rush into a wedding if we don't have to.

In summary, my first question, if we were to go the marriage route to quell the stress of the looming time limit, how fast do I need to act on this, and what needs to be done so that she doesn't have to pack up and leave in February? I know in most cases, the hardest part is getting the significant other into the US for marriage, so given that she's already here legally, I'm hoping that makes this less difficult and more timely.

Now, on the other hand, come next month, I will own my own business, which she'll be working with me at. If I find that things will have to be too rushed to get married before February, would I be able to sponsor her as an employee? The fees shouldn't be an issue, though I'd be interested in how much they would be, and how long it would take. Lastly, would she need to work full-time to be sponsored, or would part-time work? Either way can be arranged.

If I could just pay and sponsor her as an employee of my new business, and take time to plan out a nice and memorable wedding, have adequate time for settling into the new business and home preparation, and time for marriage counseling, that would be more than ideal, as well.

These are the two best options I could come up with, and unfortunately, I really don't know enough about either, so I turn to the experts here for expert opinions and information.

Thank you all in advance for your time and help!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X