Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If an H1B visa is not fully used, can the H1B be revived more than 6 years later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If an H1B visa is not fully used, can the H1B be revived more than 6 years later?

Hello,

I was issued an H1B visa in July 2008. I worked in the USA from October 2008 to June 2009 (9 months). In June 2009, i returned to my home country.

This H1B is not fully used, till what time can i file for reviving/recapture of this H1B? (I understand that i am not subject to H1B cap as i was accounted for the same in 2008).

If i file for recapture in January 2015, will it work? Or, i have only till 6 years, i.e., August 2014 to file for a revival? Can someone please share their insights?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
    Hello,

I was issued an H1B visa in July 2008. I worked in the USA from October 2008 to June 2009 (9 months). In June 2009, i returned to my home country.

This H1B is not fully used, till what time can i file for reviving/recapture of this H1B? (I understand that i am not subject to H1B cap as i was accounted for the same in 2008).

If i file for recapture in January 2015, will it work? Or, i have only till 6 years, i.e., August 2014 to file for a revival? Can someone please share their insights?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    There is ambiguity around whether USCIS takes visa expiry/petition expiry into account. I would not recmmend waiting till 2015 to utilize it. I would recommend doing it within 6 Years of first entry to be on the safe side. Of course, all this may change with the immigration bill, if passed.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you, Dear.

This is a big help.

Cheers,

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      There is ambiguity around whether USCIS takes visa expiry/petition expiry into account. I would not recmmend waiting till 2015 to utilize it. I would recommend doing it within 6 Years of first entry to be on the safe side. Of course, all this may change with the immigration bill, if passed.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Hello, Raghvi.

I found this old thread on H1B recapture duration. I am not sure if it helps a lot but someoyne mentioned that H1B could be revived beyond the 6 year period too. This is just fyi, please.

Thank you for all your kind and wonderful support. God Bless You!

Cheers,

Originally posted by raghvi View Post

Wishing you luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X