Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement card of previous SSN under H4

Hi all,
    Newbie on the forum and I could not find the answer to my question in previous posts... Sorry if this was already answered previously.

I just arrived in the USA under a H4 and know that I am not eligible for SSN. However, I worked in the US about 10 years ago under a J1 and was issued a SSN at the time.
    SSN cannot be issued under a H4 but can previous SSN be reactivated? Is it just a matter of asking for a replacement card ?
    Any past experience or advice on this are more than welcome.
    Many thanks for reading.
    Pierre

Originally posted by pboudet2 View Post
    Hi all,
    Newbie on the forum and I could not find the answer to my question in previous posts... Sorry if this was already answered previously.

I just arrived in the USA under a H4 and know that I am not eligible for SSN. However, I worked in the US about 10 years ago under a J1 and was issued a SSN at the time.
    SSN cannot be issued under a H4 but can previous SSN be reactivated? Is it just a matter of asking for a replacement card ?
    Any past experience or advice on this are more than welcome.
    Many thanks for reading.
    Pierre
    Hello, Pierre.

Correct me, if i am wrong, wasn't SSN supposed to be for life time? Unless, ofcourse one has misplaced it etc.

Cheers,
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
      Hello, Pierre.

Correct me, if i am wrong, wasn't SSN supposed to be for life time? Unless, ofcourse one has misplaced it etc.

Cheers,
      Thanks Nattybone. Its what I think as well. I am just unsure of how this coexists with the H4.
      Will find out end of september and let you know.
      Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
        Hello, Pierre.

Cheers,
        Fyi, I went to the SSA this morning and got the answer.
        Even though I previously had a SSN, they cannot provide a replacement card as the H4 visa does not allow it.
        They can either provide a non eligibility letter to SSN or in my case provide a SSN printout (a piece of paper signed by the SSA showing my SSN). I went for the second one as this seems to be easier for me when asking for VA driving licence.

I am now wondering : what is the difference in having a SSN card vs SSN printout ? In what instance(s) would the SSN card be compulsory ?
        Many thanks in advance.
        Pierre

Comment

There is no such thing as reactivation of SSN. You just have it or you don't. You can use the same SSN for any allowable purpose.

There are very few places where they will ask for documentary evidence of SSN. If you have your old SSN card you can use that or you can also present the letter from SSA. It should make no difference whatsoever. Some states ask for SSN non-availability letter (which you cannot have since you have an SSN), I don't think VA does.

If you were LPR or USC, your SSN card could have been used as proof of work authorization while filling out I-9 employment verification form. But that does not apply to you anyway.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
            There is no such thing as reactivation of SSN. You just have it or you don't. You can use the same SSN for any allowable purpose.

There are very few places where they will ask for documentary evidence of SSN. If you have your old SSN card you can use that or you can also present the letter from SSA. It should make no difference whatsoever. Some states ask for SSN non-availability letter (which you cannot have since you have an SSN), I don't think VA does.

If you were LPR or USC, your SSN card could have been used as proof of work authorization while filling out I-9 employment verification form. But that does not apply to you anyway.
            Thanks for this Kabkaba.
            Will probably update the thread with information as I go along with it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X