Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 to H1B status change

Hi,

Currently i am in US came on B2 status in July for a Family Function and visiting relatives and am still in USA.

Recently last week, this September i have been approved H1.

My online I94 shows that am on B2.

My question is can i go for Change of status to my I94 from B2 to H1. or do i need to travel to canada on Visit Visa & get stamped.

or i can apply SSN directly and am eligible to work from Oct 1st 2013.

Seniors Please advise.

Originally posted by aceidol View Post
    Hi,

Currently i am in US came on B2 status in July for a Family Function and visiting relatives and am still in USA.

Recently last week, this September i have been approved H1.

My online I94 shows that am on B2.

My question is can i go for Change of status to my I94 from B2 to H1. or do i need to travel to canada on Visit Visa & get stamped.

or i can apply SSN directly and am eligible to work from Oct 1st 2013.

Seniors Please advise.
    Hello, Aceidol.

Congratulations on being picked in the H1B draw.

You could do a Change of Status fromm within the USA, but generally that is not liked by the officials. The best practice is exiting US, and getting an H1B stamped on the passport and then entering on H1B. Also, if you do a Change of Status, you cannot reenter without H1B stamped on the passport.

Should you decide to go for a Change of Status, and if it is approved, you are good to work in the US, without having to leave. Unless, the USCIS sends you a notice for Consular Processing (which means asking you to have visa stamping outside USA).

Both have their Pros & Cons. But, by the book method is Consular Processing. Also, in my personal experience, people find Canada stamping option safer than India.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Thank you so much for a quick response.

Actually My employer has suggested to apply SSN directly with the documents i have got & he said from the attorney a document of change of status will be applied by him.

so i wanted to know whether such things work for B2 to H1, for which you have answered.

So you say that it is possible that i can go for change of status and if does fail the officials will ask me for a stamping where i can opt Canada for it than INDIA.

Hope am right on this.

Comment

Originally posted by aceidol View Post
        Thank you so much for a quick response.

Actually My employer has suggested to apply SSN directly with the documents i have got & he said from the attorney a document of change of status will be applied by him.

so i wanted to know whether such things work for B2 to H1, for which you have answered.

So you say that it is possible that i can go for change of status and if does fail the officials will ask me for a stamping where i can opt Canada for it than INDIA.

Hope am right on this.
        Hello, Aceidol.

I have one point to make, on which i am not very clear, so please, do check up - I was told that the first H1B visa stamp has to be from the Home Country. You will find information on some or the other forum online. I am just trying to share what i had heard.

If permitted for Canada, Yes, you could try Canada. Please do read up (online) on the logistics of visa from Canada. How to get to Canada: Flight or By road?, How long will you have to stay in Canada for this?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
        These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X