Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor visa for brother-in-law

Hi,
    My brother-in-law wants to come to US on visitor visa. I am planning to sponsor it. He is also planning to apply for H1B petition this year. If his h1b petition gets approved after visiting US on visitor visa, he wants to apply for change of status from B1 to H1. If he does that, will it have any impact on my H1B status. Does it create any bad mark on my status? Does it affect my ability to sponsor my parents and in-laws in future.

Thanks
    gopal

Originally posted by gopal1a View Post
    Hi,
    My brother-in-law wants to come to US on visitor visa. I am planning to sponsor it. He is also planning to apply for H1B petition this year. If his h1b petition gets approved after visiting US on visitor visa, he wants to apply for change of status from B1 to H1. If he does that, will it have any impact on my H1B status. Does it create any bad mark on my status? Does it affect my ability to sponsor my parents and in-laws in future.

Thanks
    gopal
    What you are planning is technically and theoretically possible. But in reality the success rate is low.

Firstly, you planning to sponsor your brother in law shows weak economic ties to home country, his ability to get B1 will be solely based on his own economic, financial ties to his home country. There are numerous posts in B1/B2 forum for this.
    Secondly, B2 is generally allowed to stay max only for 6 months. Finding a job, a H1 petition and getting approval all in 6 Months can be challenging, USCIS generally raises RFEs for such conversions.

All this should not have any negative impact on your H1, nor your sponsorship later on.
    This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X