Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cap-gap or stem ext? (I797 under processing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cap-gap or stem ext? (I797 under processing)

I am currently valid F1 visa. I am on OPT and working for a Company A. I have questions here.

1) My OPT would expire on June 16, 2014 and I have a I797 reciept number which shows that I have been selected for H1b lottery. However, since i am in normal processing, my application is still under review. I have two option here to extend the work authorization.
    a)Cap-gap extension
    b)Stem extension

When I spoke to my DSO about the possible scenarios, they told me the following.

I am automatically eligible for cap-gap extension. If I take cap-gap and If my H1b is denied/revoked after I pass my opt date then, I won't be able to apply for Stem extension and I will have 60 days to leave the country.

If I take the Stem extension currently, then if the STEM is approved after my H1b is approved, then it may over ride my status ( last action date rule) and I will be back on opt.

So the confusion I am having is, which one will be the optimum solution to opt for? I have one month of time to choose between them.

Say, if I file for Stem extension, would there be any problem in my legal status/work authorization because both the applications would be pending with USCIS at the same time? Is it okay to file both applications together ?

I really do not want to be in such a situation in which I do not file OPT extension and simply wait for H1B decision (by simply assuming that its approved and I will be covered under cap-gap). It could be riskier because if my H1B gets denied and the decision comes after my OPT expiration (June 16, 2014) or If I am on cap-gap, then I cannot file for OPT extension anymore to continue working in US. I have to leave the country in such case.

Please clarify my questions.

Thanks

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X