Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage advice for NYC

Hi All,

I am an Indian living and working in NYC on a H-1B visa and my fiancée is on F1. We are planning on getting married in NYC. Earlier we thought we would do it at the City Clerk's office but because of date constraints we decided to get a priest from a temple to do it. We have already filed for a license and will be going to pick it up from the City Clerk's office soon. The temple has said that they would file for the marriage certificate once everything is done.

I have contacted my Company about adding my fiancée to the green card application as well.

The main question is am I missing something? Can I actually get married here considering both our statuses(I think I can but I have heard a lot of people say that I cannot. Something related to the Hindu marriage act...). Also will the marriage certificate be valid in India?
    Do I need to make any changes to my existing passport?
    Last question: Do I need to contact the Indian consulate for any reason for any additional formalities?

P.S.: There might be similar threads but I haven't had the best time finding them and I am a little short on advice. (If you know of any other thread please post the link)

When marrying in the U.S., one's nationality or citizenship should not present any legal issues. It has been reported that NYC requires Social Security Numbers of both parties when applying for a marriage license, but this requirement can be negotiated when applying for a marriage license.

I can't address any problems related to India or the "Hindu marriage act," but neither has anything to do with the legality of a U.S. marriage in the U.S.

--Ray B

Originally posted by aksph87 View Post
    Hi All,

I am an Indian living and working in NYC on a H-1B visa and my fiancée is on F1. We are planning on getting married in NYC. Earlier we thought we would do it at the City Clerk's office but because of date constraints we decided to get a priest from a temple to do it. We have already filed for a license and will be going to pick it up from the City Clerk's office soon. The temple has said that they would file for the marriage certificate once everything is done.

I have contacted my Company about adding my fiancée to the green card application as well.

The main question is am I missing something? Can I actually get married here considering both our statuses(I think I can but I have heard a lot of people say that I cannot. Something related to the Hindu marriage act...). Also will the marriage certificate be valid in India?
    Do I need to make any changes to my existing passport?
    Last question: Do I need to contact the Indian consulate for any reason for any additional formalities?

P.S.: There might be similar threads but I haven't had the best time finding them and I am a little short on advice. (If you know of any other thread please post the link)

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X