Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have H4 & F1 visa stamped. F1 is latest visa. Can I re-enter on H4 visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have H4 & F1 visa stamped. F1 is latest visa. Can I re-enter on H4 visa?

My wife has a H4 visa that is stamped on the passport till Feb 2017.

She later converted to F1 status and has a visa stamped. F1 visa is the latest visa and it is valid till 2020.

She is currently in India for more than 5 months as she is recovering from a serious medical condition. Her University was already notified of this and they put her SEVIS on hold for one semester. No problems from the University with regards to the absence.

Yesterday, we received an email from the University asking us to find out from the US Embassy if I would need a new F1 visa as she was outside the USA for more than 5 months!!! Any info on this?

In the case of this being true, can she just re-enter using her previous H4 visa? They did not cross out or "Cancel without prejudice" the H4 Visa on her passport.

Is the H4 visa still valid or does it get cancelled after her F1 visa got stamped?

Any info / guidance is greatly appreciated!

If the H4 visa in the passport is still valid and if it is not cancelled, then she can certainly use that visa to travel to U.S. If she travels in H4 visa, her status will be H4. You can file a COS from H4 to F1 later if needed.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X