Peculiar Scenario of i94 Expiry - Extension in Jeopardy - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peculiar Scenario of i94 Expiry - Extension in Jeopardy - Need Help

Immigration Gurus - please help. Looking for some solid guidelines and information on my situation.

1) 2009 - Got H1 and traveled to USA
    2) 2010 - Applied for first extension and got approved till 2011.
    3) 2011 - Applied for 2nd extension and got approved till June 2014
    4) 2012 - Traveled to India and got stamping till June 2014
    5) 2013, May - Switched Company and filed for H1 Transfer
    6) 2013, June - Got RFE
    7) 2013, June 21st - Got H1 Transfer Approved, based on Response to RFE

--All good till now, Waiting on Approval Document to reach Employer --

8) 2013, July 4th - Traveled to Canada (Had valid Canadian Visa and Current US visa valid till June 2014 (point 3.4 above), so I was good to go)
    9) 2013, July 6th - Returned to USA from Canada. US Customs and Border Protection looked at my Stamped Visa till June 2014 and updated my i94 Accordingly.
    10) 2013, July 15th - I receive my Approved Petition i-797 with new i94. Validity Date till Nov 27 2015 (END OF 6 years stay)
    11) 2014, Dec - Filed for Perm Application
    12) 2015, Aug - PERM got approved
    13) 2015, Sep - Applied for I-140
    14) 2015, Oct - I-140 got Approved
    15) 2015, Nov 02 - Filed for H1 Extension
    16) 2015, Nov 24 - Got an RFE stating that my i94 status is expired for over a year.
    a. Need to provide evidence for ‘Extraordinary Circumstances’ leading to not filing extension on time.
    b. Says, immigration status is not valid.

Issue - USCIS is looking at the latest i94 that I got while entering Canada on July 6th 2013 (point 9 above) and not looking at i94 date that I had on Approved Petition received on July 15th (point 10 above).

Question -
    1. What should the RFE response be in this scenario? (glad they didn’t reject extension, meaning I still have some hope)
    2. What are the chances of me getting the Extension Approved, based on above situation.
    3. What will happen to my GC process as I-140 is already approved.
    4. If H1 Extension gets rejected, what are my best bets on continuing to stay in US?

Note –
    1. My track record is clean. As in USCIS should not be looking at me like an illegal immigrant, I guess.
    2. My wife is on F1 (converted after coming here) and I support her education, will that help me stay back?

Does anybody have any insight on what needs to be done????

Comment

no one responded yet...???

Anyone there, can you help??

Comment

Ujar,

Seems like USCIS made ur last H1B extension decision before July 6th ( the day u returned from Canada) but you received approved 797 on 15th.
        Since H1B extension decision was made on June 21st ie before your Canada visit, the i94 u got while returning from Canada considered most recent i94, hence uscis considers u out of status.

You need to file nunc pro tunc request for your out of status period. Also I would suggest to submit an affidavit explaining the situation and hardship to you and ur family if nunc pro tunc extension denied...

Don't want to panic you but since u are out of status for more that 1 year, denial of extension means u will be barred to enter US for 10 years.

I am also in something similar kind of boat. Out of status for more than 6 months. I went to Canada and the officer gave me I94 based on my passport expiry instead of my visa and 797. He didn't even mention anything and hence I didn't check online, assumed that i94 gonna be same as of my visa and the 797. Last week My company has filled nunc pro tunc for me. I will keep you posted with the result. Please update the thread if u hear anything
        Last edited by sb158; 11-30-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sb158 View Post
          Ujar,

Seems like USCIS made ur last H1B extension decision before July 6th ( the day u returned from Canada) but you received approved 797 on 15th.
          Since H1B extension decision was made on June 21st ie before your Canada visit, the i94 u got while returning from Canada considered most recent i94, hence uscis considers u out of status.

You need to file nunc pro tunc request for your out of status period. Also I would suggest to submit an affidavit explaining the situation and hardship to you and ur family if nunc pro tunc extension denied...

Don't want to panic you but since u are out of status for more that 1 year, denial of extension means u will be barred to enter US for 10 years.

I am also in something similar kind of boat. Out of status for more than 6 months. I went to Canada and the officer gave me I94 based on my passport expiry instead of my visa and 797. He didn't even mention anything and hence I didn't check online, assumed that i94 gonna be same as of my visa and the 797. Last week My company has filled nunc pro tunc for me. I will keep you posted with the result. Please update the thread if u hear anything
          Thank you so much for the response. I will update this thread once I get a response from USCIS.

Comment

Ujar,

My H1B nun pro tunc extension approved today with backdated I94

Comment

Originally posted by sb158 View Post
              Ujar,

My H1B nun pro tunc extension approved today with backdated I94
              Hey Congratz..!!

Can you post a sample of the response that was sent to USCIS for your case? We are a small company and are still working with Attorney's trying to figure out the best response.

Comment

hi ujar1, sorry to hear about your situation. I'm in a very similar situation as you and am in the process of drafting the nunc pro tunc. did you hear back a response on your case?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X