Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B. Move out of country and address change question

Hello,

I'm H1B visa holder. Few weeks ago I ended my employment with US based company and went back home to Europe. I also terminated my apartment lease, so I do not maintain my last mail address anymore. Who should I notify about address change and the fact that I left USA permanently?

I thought that I need to fill AR-11 form and notify DHS about my address change, but apparently DHS only care about change of address within US not when one moves out of country . Should I notify IRS or some other services as well ?

Thanks

Originally posted by kote View Post
    Hello,

I'm H1B visa holder. Few weeks ago I ended my employment with US based company and went back home to Europe. I also terminated my apartment lease, so I do not maintain my last mail address anymore. Who should I notify about address change and the fact that I left USA permanently?

I thought that I need to fill AR-11 form and notify DHS about my address change, but apparently DHS only care about change of address within US not when one moves out of country . Should I notify IRS or some other services as well ?

Thanks
    AR-11 is filed when you change address within US. Once you leave US,there is no Govt body that needs to be informed, your departure itself is the record.

Any personal communications, such as 401K, Bank/CC/Loans etc you have to inform the individual provider, if any outstanding.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks raghvi.

In addition to above, I just found out that if you leaving a country permanently, you have to file "Sailing or Departure Permit" to IRS. https://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch11.html

The problem is that most of the people do not do that...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X