Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expired i94 updated at cbp office. Any future concerns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired i94 updated at cbp office. Any future concerns?

My I797 is valid till August 2018. I reentered US in 2016 with expiring passport. As a consequence, the lastest I94 is shortened to October 2016 upon that entry. I just Noticed it Dec 2017 and went to CBP office at San Diego boarder with my new passport . The officer was super nice and updated my I94. Now the most recent I94 is consistent with the one on my I797, with same I94 number and expiration date.

I talked to my company lawyer who said after overtsaying your I-94 card by over 1 year automatically triggered a 10 year bar of inadmissibility to the US. CBP providing you with a new I-94 card didn't necessarily cure the 10 year bar issue. This issue could come up in the future as well as risk of misrepresentation. He also pointed out that I have to answer "yes" to the question of overstaying your authorized period of stay.

While others told me once I94 updated at CBP offices, it should be fine in any respect.

I am really confused and want to get some clarifications from people who suffered similar issue before.

My concern is about the I94 history if it would be investigated sometime later. Since my I94 expiration date is 2018 initially, then shortened to 2016 then updated to 2018 again. Would this be an issue one day? And I really need a hard and good explanation of the "out of status" for more than one year if the issue come up.

Thank you very much for any information.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X