Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B: DS-160 Questions

Hello forum members,

Need some help on the following questions for completing the Present Work Information on DS-160. Pardon the long topic details - I wanted to give the forum members as much information as I am able to, to help with the answers.

My background:

Previous work-ex in Company A (from Oct 2011 to July 2015)
    Was in MBA program from Aug-2015 to Apr-2017, and completed an internship with the company X in summer 2016. The company is into specialized industrial engineering products for fluid flow control.
    Received a full-time direct hire offer to join company X in position Y in Jan-2017. Had my OPT EAD card approved until end of May'18.
    Company X applied for H1-B for position Y for 1-Oct-2017 start. Made the lottery, and received the I-797 from company attorney in June-2017.
    Started working at company X in position Y from June-2017 after completing the MBA program end April-2017.
    H1-B validity states from 1-Oct-2017 to 31-May-2020. F1-OPT status converted to H1-B in USCIS

Question 1: Work/ Education / Training

a. When filing the Employment section, should I mention that I was on OPT from 12-June-2017 (my start date) to 1-Oct-2017, since the H1-B validity starts on 1-Oct-2017?

b. If so, whether the employment history would be correct? (latest to oldest chronological order)

Company X --> H1-B --> Technology Manager --> 1-Oct-2017 (Note: This would be the answer to Present Work)
    Company X --> OPT --> Technology Manager --> 12-June-2017 to 1-Oct-2017 (Note: This would be the answer to Previous Work. Essentially no change in employment when transferring from F1-OPT or H1-B)
    Company X --> MBA Internship --> May 2016 to Aug 2016 (This would be the answer to Previous Work in Were you previously employed)
    Company A --> Program Manager --> Oct 2011 to July 2015 (This would be the answer to Previous Work in Were you previously employed)

Question 2: Primary Occupation

Title on petition is Technology Manager, which is position Y that the company placed me an offer for. I understand there will not be an exact match, but I report to the VP/GM of my division.

a. Would someone provide guidance on whether I should select either Business, Engineering or Other (with clarification as Technology Manager) in the Current Employment Role section?

Question 3: Travel Information

I did not leave the US when I converted my status from F1 to H1-B.

a. Any guidance on the intended date of arrival in the US? I was thinking of 1 week from my visa appointment date?
    b. Intended length of stay in the US? I was thinking of mentioning 2 YEARS from now, since the H1-B expires on 31-May-2020
    c. Does anyone have any guidance on choosing NO to the question - Have you made any specific travel plans? I have not yet finalized the travel itinerary

Question 4: US Point of Contact:

a. Is an HR manager the right person (since she has her name on the petition) or my current reporting manager?
    b. Relationship to you - would it be US Petitioner or Employer? (My employer is my petitioner)

Appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

- RP

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X