Urgent- Lay off Need some guidance B1/B2 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent- Lay off Need some guidance B1/B2 conversion

Hi all- I recently received notice from my company that they are dissolving my team and have given me about 20 days before my last day with the company
    I am certainly trying for a job but am not sure if I will find it in 20 days.
    In the meantime I have come across the option of converting to B1/B2 or F1 visa.
    So my question is
    1) If I convert to B1/B2/F1 and then try to convert back to H1, will the visa limits apply to me or not
    2) How long can I wait before i have to change my status to stay
    I would really appreciate if you could guide me or share your experiences in similar situations
    Thanks
    Rahul

Once you leave your company you automatically are out of status. So when you find a new job, you are back to square one and will fall under the H1 CAP.
    Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

Layoff

Hi all- I recently received notice from my company that they are dissolving my team and have given me about 20 days before my last day with the company
      I am certainly trying for a job but am not sure if I will find it in 20 days.
      In the meantime I have come across the option of converting to B1/B2 or F1 visa.
      So my question is
      1) If I convert to B1/B2/F1 and then try to convert back to H1, will the visa limits apply to me or not

---- Typically you will have 60 days for your H1 transfer from the day you are laid off. However, during this time you have to seek your B1/B2 Visa to maintain you status in the country. Also apply for H1 transfer before or immediately after layoff

---- If you have not completed 6 years on your H1 then you need not apply for a fresh H1. As written above, you can do a transfer

2) How long can I wait before i have to change my status to stay

---- You have to act immediately, if you want retain your status in the country and get a job for a career and survival

Subramanya

Comment

Same Case

Can you please let me also know
        wot is the way out - During these 60 Days Can i search for jobs - and transfer H1 Directly by the new company - without filng for B1/B2 VISA.

Thanks
        Last edited by H1BGuy143; 08-03-2007, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Layoff

Can you please let me also know
          wot is the way out - During these 60 Days Can i search for jobs - and transfer H1 Directly by the new company - without filng for B1/B2 VISA.

---- Do all of the above. File for B1/B2 to be on the safe side and that guarantees your say in the US

Subramanya

Comment

Field ? Experience?

What's your field and how much experience do you have? I can help you find employers who may be able to sponsor your H1B.

Send me a private message with the information or with your resume.

Do note that I cannot guarantee you anything and nor am I going to personally employ you. I will only try to help you get your H1B and a proper job in your own field of expertise.

Good luck.

Comment

Same Case

I am a little confused / side tracked / worried with TopCatin's reply - saying there is no Grace Period or Time for us. Can any one verify.

Comment

hmm i didnt mention about any grace period but I wasnt aware of the 60 day and then that we can do a trasnfer. But as mentioned in this forum make yourself secure with a B1/B2 visa. universities and NGO's are places where you should look for jobs as they dont fall under the CAP. Note that some NGO's do fall under the CAP but all universities are exempt from this. So Yes they can employ and do your H1 immediately.
                Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

60 day rule

hmm i didnt mention about any grace period but I wasnt aware of the 60 day and then that we can do a trasnfer. But as mentioned in this forum make yourself secure with a B1/B2 visa. universities and NGO's are places where you should look for jobs as they dont fall under the CAP. Note that some NGO's do fall under the CAP but all universities are exempt from this. So Yes they can employ and do your H1 immediately.

---- The 60 day rule is applicable only when a Visa has been applied for on day 1 after a layoff or any such condition. The reason being in case there is a query you will have sometime within 60 day period to reply and respond to any USCIS query

Subramanya
                  Last edited by Subramanya; 08-04-2007, 09:42 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X