Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Change in Passport and Visa on H4

Hi,

I know the procedure of changing the surname after marriage i.e. from Indian Embassy, but I want to know the procedure of changing the name on H4 Visa, is it required to change the visa also after changing the Surname?

Thanks,
    Afroze

It's not mendatory to change names in passport after marriage. You will just need to be consitent in using your name. E.g. my wife still uses her maiden name on everything (passport, visa, educational doc in the U.S.)

Look here:

Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Thanks but I know that

My question is how to update the name in visa, if we change the name in passport or it is not required? whether it won't create any problem at POE?

Comment

Thanks

One more question:

Passport Details:

My wife Given Name: YYYY YYY ZZZ
        Surname: DDD

MY given name is: PPP
        Surname: QQQ

I want to change my wife's Given Name: ZZZ
        Suranme: QQQ

Is it possible by using the category Passport amendment b'cos of Surname Change after Marriage? (Just asking this b'cos I don't want to go into NewsPaper Ad and all those hassles)

Thanks,
        Afroze
        Last edited by paryaniafroze; 04-09-2008, 03:10 PM.

Comment

For truncating a given name, it has to go through the Name change procedure with advertisement in newspapers in US and India. Marriage can only change the last name.

Below information should help.

CHANGE OF NAME: Application is made in the “Application form for an Indian Passport” along with three photographs and prescribed fee.
          (i) in case of CHANGE FROM MAIDEN NAME TO MARRIED NAMEor substitution of father's name with husband's name OR Divorcees applying for change of name or for substitution of husband's name with father's name in existing passport must in addition to the above furnish the following: Original Passport; Notarized copy of marriage certificate along with original or notarized copy of divorce deed duly authenticated by court along with original as applicable; copy of husband's passport; in case of Re-married ladies (Married ladies applying for change of name/husband's name in case of remarriage after divorce OR death of husband), divorce deed OR death certificate as the case may be in respect of her first husband.

(ii)In case of CHANGE OF NAME by splitting the name as GIVEN NAME AND SURNAME.*Original Passport.*Affidavit as change of name duly notarized in prescribed proforma. Please indicate the split name as GIVEN NAME and SURNAME.

(iii) in ALL OTHER CASES, Change to be advertised in two daily newspapers, one in U.S.A. and another in India (circulation in the area of your permanent and present residence); Submission of original newsp aper clippings; an affidavit on change of name, duly notarized in the prescribed proforma has to be submitted also.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks

Actually I am not trucating, I want to remove YYY ZZZ i.e, my father-in-law's name from my wife's given name, originially my wife's first name is YYYY and YYY ZZZ is my FIL's name, so in the passport the given name of my wife is YYYY YYY ZZZ.

Comment

That could possibly done without the newspaper ads. You are at the mercy of what your country officials decide they need.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X