Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 eligibility

Hi,
    I have been stamped H1B visa by my previous employer (in 2006) and is valid till July 2008. But till now I havent entered U.S. Now I have got a new offer and here the company is planning to send me for 4 months on Business visa. Now
    1. Will my previous H1 visa will be cancelled during this new Business visa processing?
    2. If my H1 will not be cancelled, can I, on entering US(using business visa) find a new job and get my H1 transferred to my new employer even though i have never worked or entered US using the previous H1.
    3. Or can this business visa be transferred to H1 without coming back to India(which implies I again come in H1 quota - is this right) .

Please help me with these queries

1. No, You are allowed to have H1b and B1/B2 at the same time.
    2. If you have such prior intentions while entering on B1/B2 to convert to H1b upon arriving, it is illegal to enter on a non immigrant visa. You should not have such intents while you enter but can have changed intentions after 90 days of arrival.
    3. #2 answers the same. As a safe bet, you can get a new employer file a I797 as CP (not change of status), travel with your existing unexpired H1b visa, new I797 approval from new employer and re-enter on H1b directly and avoid the hassle of overcoming the burden in #2.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X