Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 stamping

Hi all,
    I am currently on OPT until Oct 10. I got my H1 approved. I am planning to attend Visa interview from Canada this June ending. Couple of my friends told me that I should not attend Visa interview until the end of september else my OPT will be cancelled. Is that true? How sooner can i attend the Visa interview.

Thanks in advance

Visa Timing

I am currently on OPT until Oct 10. I got my H1 approved. I am planning to attend Visa interview from Canada this June ending. Couple of my friends told me that I should not attend Visa interview until the end of september else my OPT will be cancelled. Is that true? How sooner can i attend the Visa interview.

---- Yes, ideally you should attend your Visa interview in the month of September

---- NO, the OPT will not be cancelled if you attnd your Visa interview in June

-----Rules do say that you should attend your Visa interview only in September (or towards the end) and the Visa will be granted starting from Ocr 1. However, people have attended Visa interviews at all times adn got the Visa granted adn stamped on their Passports. There may not be a reference in this forum, but it is widely discussed in other forums. Repeated calls and emails to various US Consulates have given different answers with diffreent interpretations

---- In summary youcan apply for a Visa in June

Subramanya

Comment

Hi tady18
      my H1 b is selected in apr-08, and i have I797 receipt for that, please let me know how many days it takes in getting approval for the same

Comment

Once you have the H1b stamped, your F1 will be marked CWOP. That would not allow you to enter the US on OPT/F1 status anymore which would render your OPT canceled as well and neither will you be allowed to enter on H1b 10 days before your start date.

Ideal period for h1b stamping for OPT students without effecting their OPT/F1 is after Sep 20th.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X