name problem in passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• name problem in passport

This is for my sister. she is here on an H4 visa. In the passport , in the surname column her surname comes first then her middle name. for eg if the
    whole name is 'x y z' it shows in name:'x' surname:'z y' so when written
    together it comes now like 'x z y'. this is the name given for the H4 and she is here in US for past 2 yrs in that name. Now she is going for her H4 stamping
    her approval paper is in the 'x z y' format...should she go to the passport office and get it changed now before the stamping for new H4. Also now she is going to apply for EAD this aug, for which she has to submit her birth certificate and that has the correct order of her name ie ' x y z'. so if she goes and gets the passport corrected or new passort with the correct name will it become a problem and delay or stop the green card process because it will raise the question why the H4 was orginally taken in the wrong format. Or should she just submit her passport and documents as they are in the format it is in and not point out the issue by getting the name changed in passport/new passport.
    kindly advise us...
    Last edited by merri; 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM.

Not a big deal but get it corrected to show the correct format in the passport. Consulate will issue visas as per the name in the passport.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

but if the name is changed, won't it be a problem in the H4 visa stamping , because the last stamping was in a different name and the current stamping in different name. so the last visa and I94 and the approval are all in the previous name and the new visa, I94 in the new name format...and for the EAD they will be taking all the documents and those pertaining to the H4 previously issued, then they will notice that the order is different there and so it will be like false information was initially provided, would'nt that be a problem for GC process?

Comment

The names should be in proper order as being used. If I797 is a mistake get it corrected or let her retain the name as in the passport if that is the concern.

It is not the equivalent of providing false info though as I see it.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

so its just better to get a new passport with the name in correct order ?
          Will this not become an issue when going for H4 stamping ? Since the old H4 and I94 is in old name format ? could this affect GC Process ?

Comment

They will just note an observation on the existing passport and not issue a new one unless the old one is expiring. No issues with stamping as they go by the name in the passport.

Comment

we went to the Indian consulate today and they told them the problem, they just gave us a form and asked us to apply for new passport in new name format.
              but you don't feel this could affect GC process...the discrepancy could cause a delay and the fact that the initial information was false could stop it altogether ?
              Last edited by merri; 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM.

Comment

If they are consistent, it is better. Just a change will have chances for rfes and delays but not a denial altogether during the GC. You are not the only one that has ever had to deal with this problem. So, do not worry too much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X