Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 and H1B

Hi there,

I am currently in the UK with a visa valid until September 2008. I currently have a B1/B2 visa valid until 2011. I recently accepted an job offer as an assistant Professor at a university in Texas. And I'm supposed to start 18 August 2008, but this is conditional or depends on when I get my H1B visa.
    I'm planning to travel very soon with my current B1/B2 visa.

And here are my questions:

1) As it's going to be a big move for me, I want to go to Texas and sort out housing, transport, learning to drive on the other side, etc before I start teaching. I don't know anybody in Texas really and so hopefully I could also visit friends and family in other states. Would this be a valid reason to ask for an extended visitor stay at the port of entry?

2) While on visit, my employer/university will obviously be processing my H1B visa. I'm hoping that I don't have to go back to my home country (as I said above I don't think I will be re-entering the UK as my UK visa is expiring in September 2008, unless I'm given a short stay) and just wait for my H1B visa while in Texas. If it happens, that my I-94 expires before my H1B visa is obtained, can I apply for extension and will waiting for my H1B visa to come through be a valid reason for the request?

3) Lastly, may I spare myself the expense of purchasing a return ticket (not knowing if it's to the UK or back home and when) and just purchase later if I have to or would this not be received favourably?

Thank you so much for your help. I'm really excited to move to Texas and get away from the wet and cold UK summer!
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

You can come on H1 visa and and learn all that and adjust to US life. Thousands of people that enter US on H1B do that and you are no different.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X