No announcement yet.

Any Sucess with Leap Frog ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing but you being paranoid contributed to your agony and spending money on attorneys.

It is nothing but a simple travel and return. You should have realized that this is not the first time this is happening. This has been there ever since Efren Hernandez memo came out.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Successful leapfrog ?

Please post back if anyone had any issues at the POE during leap frog.
      Also, if it was easy to explain the situation to the officer at the POE.

I traveled out on September 29th..to Canada.. I will going back on Oct 2nd morning. Will post back on this tomorrow... as soon as I get back on an L1.

* Only issue, I heard soo far... was only some canadian officers accepted I-94.

Comment

Originally posted by clwtrz
        * Only issue, I heard soo far... was only some canadian officers accepted I-94.
        Why is it an issue? It is the normal procedure. That guarantees a new I-94 anyway. In fact, that is good.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Leap Frog

Hi Senior Members,

I followed the Leap frog procedure. I got my H4 stamped in Mexico on Sep 25th when I already had my H1B approved. I entered the US on Sep 26th from Mexico where they gave me a new 1-94 (with H4 entry on it) at the POE.
          I left for Canada by road on sep 30. I entered the US today(Oct 1), also by road. At the POE the Officer took my new I-94 (issued in Mexico) and let me in with the I-94 attached to my H4 approval notice. My confusion is this is the same I-94 number as that on the I-94 attached to my H1B approval. What does this mean - is my status in US now H4 (since I eneterd on H4) or
          H1?

Where can I find out what status I am on - I mean is there a website or a number I can call.

Please reply. Thanks in advance.

Sadhvi.

Comment

Based on Efren Hernandez memo, it is H1b.

The H4 approval notice I-94 should have been returned long back during your previous exit. It is important to avoid confusion to return all associated I-94s stapled together.

You have a problem now that your I-94 record associated with the H4 approval might have already been closed. You need to go back to the border and talk to a supervisor or get a new I-94.

Consult an attorney as you don't seem to know much about what goes with what.
            Last edited by txh1b; 10-01-2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Pls Reply....

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. I went to the Border and spoke to the supervisor. I tried to convince him to issue me a new I-94 but according to him I entered the US on this I-94 on H4 and so i am on H4. When I asked him if the I-94 number on my H4 approval might have been closed his reply was since I already entered the US last time it doesnt matter. Howmuch ever I tried to convince him he was repeatedly saying that I am on H4 as I eneterd on H4 with this I-94. He also said that when I enetered, my H4 Visa was scanned and thats the status that gets recorded in the system and he sounded very sure that I am on H4.

I am really really confused. Could what he said be true? I cannot take it for granted that what he said is true just because it works out to my favor.
              What should I do next. Is there a way I can get a concrete answer as to what status I am on. Can I contact USCIS or INS about this..

Please reply...Thanks

Comment

As you already made sure about it with the supervisor, this is what I would ask you to do.

Did you ever return any I-94 with the same number as the one on your H4 approval notice when you left the US?

1. Take an infopass appointment and go to the nearest USCIS office. Ask them what your current status is from your I-94 that you have. Ask them if you can work on H1b or if your employer has to file for a COS? Take all your documents with you.

Does your H4 I-94 number and the H1b COS have the same number? Another check would be to pay a visit to SSA office with your H1b COS approval and they can verify if you truly are on H1b status by your I-94 with DHS.

2. Talk to a lawyer.

Some of the things that the CBP does and the memos from USCIS are conflicting and the cause of big confusion.

Good luck!

Comment

Okie ..LP mission completed

This might be useful to someone in the future..

I got back to US on Oct 2nd,2008 by road from Canada. I had submitted my I-94 to the Canadian officer, while leaving.
                  At the US border, I told the CBE that I would like to continue on my L1 as my H1 employers prj. is delayed by a month. The officer verified the documents, charged $6 and issued a new I-94 with class as L1, with my L1 employers name on the back.

Thanks txh1b , forum.... for the help...it went well.

Comment

Good! Enjoy the L1b sweatshop :-) Just kidding!

Comment

Yes. I had the same I-94 number when I entered US on F1.I moved from F1 to H4. When I went to Mexico for stamping on Sep 25,2008, I got a new I- 94 by returning the F1 I-94, to re-enter on H4.

I did explain this to the supervisor. Do you see any obvious problem here.

I m planning to contact the nearest USCIS office asap and will check as per your advise.

Sadhvi.

Comment

Originally posted by sadhvi
                        I did explain this to the supervisor. Do you see any obvious problem here.
                        I have been seeing a problem here ever since I responded to your original post. I was just asking for clarification to rule out if I was wrong. You should not have the I-94 attached to the I-94 as that had to be returned.

Comment

Successful Leap frog done to Canada

Hi Txh1b and All,
                          we(Me and my wife) have successfully completed leap frog by travelling to canada on 29th Sep and retuned on today(Oct 2nd). my old I-94 was taken by at boarding in USA.
                          I was issued new I-94 in Toronto Canda by USA CBP officer with out any problem.

I suggest anybody who wants to do leap frog to travel to Canada/Mexico by air.
                          Txh1b thanks alot for all the help and support you have given and also answering some of our dumb very patiently.

Comment

Visit to SSA office

I spoke to a Immigration lawyer, He said because you entered in your H4 visa,You are in H4 status. Dont worry about your I-94 number.If it was not a valid one, you wouldn't have been able to enter.

I m still not convinced. I paid $80 for this lawyer today. As per your advise I went to the SSA office today. They said my SSN number is still active. They cant let me now If I am in a working status from my SSN number and They cant track it from my I-94 number.I have to goto USCIS to know anything about I-94 and status related issues.

Sadhvi.

Comment

Sadhvi,

I don't know what else to say. Is it too difficult to travel to Canada and be back again for you on a H4 rather than going through this ordeal? I still am not comfortable with what went on in your case.

As you spoke to an attorney, I can only hope and wish he is right.

My interpretation:

As you recently traveled out to get your H4 visa stamp, the I-94 that was returned at that point (same number as the one that you have attached to the H4 notice and H1b likely) did not get closed. It usually takes couple of weeks for the I-94 to be closed with the data entry delays.

That is why the CBP might have seen that attached I-94 on your H4 active.

My 2 cents. You can go with the lawyer's opinion. I hope he is right.

Comment

Hello txh1b,

Thanks for helping me through this ordeal. I m from Tampa, Fl. I traveled around to Mexico and then to Canada with my 9 month old. Another quick trip might be really hard on him. Thanks for your suggestion though.

I have an Infopass appointment scheduled for Oct 16. The attorney got back to me today asking me to send a scanned copy of my i-94.

I also understand form your other posts that its not a certainty to get a I-94 for travels less than 30 day duration to Canada or Mexico.

If after Oct 16 I get know I m in H1 and not H4, I will probably travel home (India) and I m also going to try to get paid for that period. ( starting Oct 1)

1) Can you please help me frame my question to the Immigration officer. I don't want more trouble by asking the wrong question

2) Can I enter US again on H4 when I come back from India in December. Or should I go for H1B stamping.

3) Do i need a Bahamas visa to fly in and out of Bahamas. Its the nearest port.

Sadhvi.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X