X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport expiry in April

Hello Friends,
    My passport expires in April. So the officer at the airport only
    gave me a I94 till april 2009. I am right now in USA. I believe i need to apply for a passport renewal at the washington DC office. I went to the indian embassy website and also read the pade on immihelp.I want to make some confirmations of what I understand about the process:

1.. I can send all the documents via mail and don't need to personally go to Washington, DC.
    2. I need to send my current passport? Isn't this dangerous if they lose it in mail then i have no I-94 or legal right to stay here..

To get an extension of I-94 I need to leave the country and come back or do I need to go to the local USCIS office? The officer at the port of entry just said that I need to apply once I got the new passport?

My passport expires in April. So the officer at the airport only
    gave me a I94 till april 2009. I am right now in USA. I believe i need to apply for a passport renewal at the washington DC office. I went to the indian embassy website and also read the pade on immihelp.I want to make some confirmations of what I understand about the process:

1.. I can send all the documents via mail and don't need to personally go to Washington, DC.

---- Yes you can do that

2. I need to send my current passport? Isn't this dangerous if they lose it in mail then i have no I-94 or legal right to stay here..

---- If you are so worried go to Washington DC personally on any working day (Monday to Friday) in the morning and by evening you can have your new Passport

To get an extension of I-94 I need to leave the country and come back or do I need to go to the local USCIS office? The officer at the port of entry just said that I need to apply once I got the new passport?

---- You can go to the nearest CBP office at the POE (either land or airport) and get your I-94 extended

Subramanya

Comment

My understanding is that I should take out the I-94 and then xerox it and get the copy notarized before sending it to the Embassy? Is this correct?

Till now this is the list I am sending:
      • Passport
      • Copy of Driver's license
      • Copy of Lease
      • Notarized copy of I94
      • 4 photographs
      • A check for $40
      • A check for $20

Comment

Hi,

Why don;t you refer the website of the Indian Consulate to which you are going to send the passport . They have mentioned all the supporting docs required along with the application.
        For Washington DC Consulate
        they need Copy of ur first five and the last two pages of the passport,Copy of pages indicating U.S. Visa ,Completed Nationality Status Verification Form also......no where they have mentioned about I-94 but still u can send the notarized copy.
        So please refer their website and send all the required docs

thanks ,
        Abhay

Comment

Originally posted by abhayg4
          Hi,

Why don;t you refer the website of the Indian Consulate to which you are going to send the passport . They have mentioned all the supporting docs required along with the application.
          For Washington DC Consulate
          they need Copy of ur first five and the last two pages of the passport,Copy of pages indicating U.S. Visa ,Completed Nationality Status Verification Form also......no where they have mentioned about I-94 but still u can send the notarized copy.
          So please refer their website and send all the required docs

thanks ,
          Abhay
          I have already mentioned in my first post that I went to the website of the Indian Embassy and also the page on immihelp. I am not sure where you got this information from but the webpage I saw mentions no such thing as Completed Nationality Status Verification Form . This is the link I am referring to http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite...PASSPORT.asp#1

Comment

My understanding is that I should take out the I-94 and then xerox it and get the copy notarized before sending it to the Embassy? Is this correct?

Till now this is the list I am sending:
            [*]Passport[*]Copy of Driver's license[*]Copy of Lease[*]Notarized copy of I94[*]4 photographs[*]A check for $40[*]A check for $20

---- If the application is for a new or renewal of a Passport, there is no need of DL and a notarized copy of I-94 (if your prefer a copy of I-94 is sent) and the checks

---- A notarized copy of your I-797 will ensure that you are working in the US with that company

---- Earlier you were skeptical of sending your PP by post as that might get lost. Now you seem to have changed your mind

Subramanya

Comment

I want to avoid the trouble of getting something notarized. I was wondering if i send the passport with the I94 if that would be enough. Also the DL is needed as proof of residence along with the lease.

Comment

I am having trouble understanding this statement mentioned on this website http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite...ASSPORT.asp#1:

"Copy of pages indicating U.S. Visa or original Green Card or Employment Authorization Card (EAC) or any other visa documents to be shown at the counter and a copy of both sides of documents deposited (in case applications being mailed, a notarized copy of these documents can be sent);"

I am not a Green Card/EAC holder . My Visa is printed on my passport. However, does the above statement mean that I must send them my I-94/I-797 notarized? Where do I go to get these documents notarized?

Comment

Hi,

You can get ur I-797 and I-94 notarized at any of the Post Office (they will charge you on page basis) or also you can get it notarized in Libraries for free (if they have that service and if u r a member) .
                  or there are private offices which do notarizations and charge u.
                  Search for them in Google near to ur place.

Thanks,
                  Abhay

Comment

Some banks also offer free notary services.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

ok. one more question. I am right now in USA. So when I enter the address on the online form do I provide the residential address in USA or India. I have to provide proof of address. The two proofs of address(lease agreement and drivers license) I have right now is the address in USA and no proof of address in India. Would the address I enter on the form and the proof I am providing be both the same. I just don't want them to send back the passport and I would have little or not time at all to extend my I-94. Also if my visa is valid but I-94 expired do I have to leave the country?

Comment

The last time I did, they had place to fill current and permanent address. You provide US address proof only as that is what they are looking for.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I am hitting one bottle neck after another . The US passport size is 5 cm * 5 cm and Indian is 3.5 cm * 3.5 cm. If you know of any stores that do that size please do let me know.

Comment

You can either cut it or use immihelp instructions to make your own. In fact, the consulate cut it to the size they need themselves when I included a 2 x 2

https:///do-it-yourself-photograph-i...visa-oci-card/

Comment

Hi,

I dont have lease and utility bills on my name...

Is it fine to send bank statement and driving license?

Please reply me asap...

Thanks in advance

Sue

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X