Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got SSN without I94 against H1

I am stuck in weird situation.
    I came to US in Dec2007 on H4 and got H1 approval in 2008.I started working from Nov2008.
    But recently we noticed that i dint get I94 with H1approval(But my employer says he applied for H1 with COS).I wonder how i got SSN without i94 against H1.
    My h4 I94 is expiring in May.

Could any one please answer my questions and suggest me what to do.
    1.Do i need to apply for COS(h4 to H1) now to get I94?
    2.Is it illegal that i am working without I94 on H1(but i got SSN which means i am authorized to work)?
    3.Do i need to go out(India/Canada) for stamping now?

Does your I797 say I797A or I797B?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

it's I797B.

Thanks for responding, any suggestion from you would be appreciated.

Comment

You are pretty much screwed as you have worked without authorization. Need to talk to an attorney and re-enter on a CP. You will have problems during GC.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

if i am not authorized to work, how come they gave me SSN.Does getting SSN not mean that i am authorized to work?

Comment

It was our mere stupidity that we dint check our H1 approval form properly.
            But my only concern is how did they give me SSN, dont they have in their records that i am still on H4.Since they gave SSN we dint even get the doubt that we have to apply for COS.

Is there any chance for me to defend my case.what might be the consequences of all my acts.

Unknowingly i got into big trouble.I am afraid whether it would affect my Husband's GC processing, also he is applying for his H1 ext this month.I hope it wouldn't affect him.

Experts please give me your predictions/opinions on my situation.That would really matter for me.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X