question about multiple I-94s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about multiple I-94s

After I came to the US on an H1 visa, I have changed employers twice and have transferred my H1 appropriately. As a result, I now have a total of 3 I-94s (one stapled to my passport at the port of entry, and 1 each on the two H1 transfer approvals). The I797s mention "Please tear off form I-94 printed below, and staple to original I-94 if available".

Q1. So the next time I leave the US on international travel, do I hand over all 3 I-94s at the port of exit?

Q2. If I don't leave the US till after 2009/09/30, which is when my first I-94 expires, should I mail it in to the USCIS at some address?

My husband arrived in the US on an F1 visa, and has since changed to H1 status, and so has 2 I-94s. The one stapled to his passport at the POE when he was on F1 status says "Class: F1" and "Until: D/S", ie, it doesn't specify an expiry date.
    Q3. Is this normal?
    Q4. Should he mail this first I-94 to the USCIS? Or hand in both his I-94s at the port of exit the next time he leaves the US on international travel?

Please let me know if I missed mentioning anything important.

Thanks for your time!

No need to mail anything. You can stay until your most recent I-94 and return all of those (stapled together) to airline when you return.

D/S means duration of status. F1 is always D/S. He can stay until he continues being a full-time student or is working under CPT or OPT. But since now he has changed to H1 he can only stay until his latest I-94.
    In general old I-94's are not very important, it's the most recent that determined your status.
    Last edited by kabkaba; 05-30-2009, 08:55 PM.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Splendid! Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X