X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help L1 to H1

Hi experts,

can you please help on my below questions. am totally confused :-(

Am on L1 visa and working for Company(A) and my L1 visa getting expired on July 30th and my Company(A) started processing on my L1 Extension. at the same time am planning for COS H1B 2011 from Company(B). here are my questions:

1) since company(b) applying for COS (Change of Status) and if its get approved my status automatically changes to H1B in Oct 2010.., but I wanted to continue for some more time (min 2months) on my L1. Is that create any issues? does it works like this?

2) or can I ask company(b) to apply for new petition H1B instead of COS? so that i can hold both visa's and quit company(A) when ever i get good project in my hands?

Appreciate your quick reply

Thanks
    Maddy
    Last edited by mmadiche; 06-03-2010, 07:34 PM.

1) since company(b) applying for COS (Change of Status) and if its get approved my status automatically changes to H1B in Oct 2010.., but I wanted to continue for some more time (min 2months) on my L1. Is that create any issues? does it works like this?
    >>> If the H1B is applied as a COS, then upon approval your status will change to H1B and you can no longer continue with the L1 employer unless you leave the country immediately and return back in L1 visa which will put you back in L1 status. This is called as "Leap frog". Search for this term in the forum and you will find a lot of posts.

2) or can I ask company(b) to apply for new petition H1B instead of COS? so that i can hold both visa's and quit company(A) when ever i get good project in my hands?
    >>> You can do that. But you cannot just join Company B after finding a project. A COS need to be applied from L1 to H1B and it should get approved for you to work for the H1B employer. Alternatively, you can go back your home country, get the H1B stamped and re-enter U.S in H1B visa and start working for the H1B employer.

The key here is the status. You need to be in appropriate status to work for either of these employer.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

These makes more clear, really your response helps lot to me.., thanks again for your time and help here....

Thanks
      Maddy

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X