Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Payroll Question?

Hi,

I recently changed my employer. I understand that on an H1B, one cannot have multiple payrolls running, however I have some payments pending that I need to receive from my old employer.

They are ready to pay me, but I was not sure if the multiple payroll thing will be an issue when I file my taxes.

Please advise.
    Thanks

Final settlement from your x-employer should not be an issue.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi,

As mentioned final settlement is not a problem
      Also make sure that you get your W2 from your ex-company , they need to give it you (which I think they will deliver to you in Jan/Feb '2011)

Thanks and Regards,
      Abhay

Comment

H-1B-Multiple Employer Payroll-Issue

Hi,
        I had H-1B with Employer A and went to India for VISA stamping. My Visa got rejected.
        I was in India for about 7 months and I worked in India for couple of companies.

Another employer B from U.S.A filed H-1B and I got the VISA. I am back to U.S.A

I had some payment that I need to get from Employer A. They ran the payroll for one month and sent me the check . I was not aware that they are going to run the pay roll.

Please note, New Employer B also ran the pay roll at the same time.

I still did not deposit the cheque.

Can you please tell me, if this can cause any issues / problems either for G.C or for anything.

Please do let me know my action items, if I need to any.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

Was pay duration mention in the payslips from employer a and employer B the same? How did employer a processed your pay slip for a duration when you did not actually worked for them? If it was a post dated pay, then the payslip should mention the pay period in that. Getting paid late is not a big issue.

Originally posted by ranpol View Post
          Hi,
          I had H-1B with Employer A and went to India for VISA stamping. My Visa got rejected.
          I was in India for about 7 months and I worked in India for couple of companies.

Another employer B from U.S.A filed H-1B and I got the VISA. I am back to U.S.A

I had some payment that I need to get from Employer A. They ran the payroll for one month and sent me the check . I was not aware that they are going to run the pay roll.

Please note, New Employer B also ran the pay roll at the same time.

I still did not deposit the cheque.

Can you please tell me, if this can cause any issues / problems either for G.C or for anything.

Please do let me know my action items, if I need to any.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

Hi Shervin,
            The pay time they have given is March 01 2012 to March 15 2012.
            I did not work for them at that period.
            More over I was working for Employer B. But they run the pay roll monthly. And hence it is for March 01 to March 31st.

I am not sure why the Employer ran the pay roll for me. As they owe me that balance, after many follow ups finally they agreed to pay and they sent me this check where I realized it was a pay stub. As they already have sent the W2 for 2011, probably they sent this.

Please advise, what should I do in this situation. I still did not deposit the check ?

Thanks,
            -Rans

Comment

Depositing the check is not an issue. The issue will be if there is an overlap in your W2 by the end of the year. If an officer checks both your W2 and if there is an overlap, then you can be questioned about it.

Hi Shervin,
              The pay time they have given is March 01 2012 to March 15 2012.
              I did not work for them at that period.
              More over I was working for Employer B. But they run the pay roll monthly. And hence it is for March 01 to March 31st.

I am not sure why the Employer ran the pay roll for me. As they owe me that balance, after many follow ups finally they agreed to pay and they sent me this check where I realized it was a pay stub. As they already have sent the W2 for 2011, probably they sent this.

Please advise, what should I do in this situation. I still did not deposit the check ?

Thanks,
              -Rans

Comment

May I know what should be my action at this point ? Can I go to the Employer and ask him to void this ?

Also, please note my H-1B VISA with that employer was already rejected.

Please advise what should I do not to get in to issues.

Thanks,
                -Rans

Comment

There isn't much you can do. You cannot go to embassy for this. They cannot help you. Talk to your previous employer and see if they can correct the pay slips with a older dates since you did not actually work for them. Keep records of your email communications with them asking to make the required corrections which can ocme in handy later. Since it is a matter of 15 days, if asked, you can justify this stating that was your final settlement from the employer. If possible, get a letter from the employer stating the same clearly mentioning that you did notwork for them during that time frame.

Comment

Thanks Shervin. One more last question, do I need to make sure I get the W2 as well for this 15 days they ran and show it when I file the taxes ?

Please respond.

Thanks,
                    -Rans

Comment

If the payslip is processed and taxes were deducted, then YES. You should get a W2 from that employer and file your tax returns at the beginning of the next year.

Thanks Shervin. One more last question, do I need to make sure I get the W2 as well for this 15 days they ran and show it when I file the taxes ?

Please respond.

Thanks,
                      -Rans

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X