Passport expiry dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport expiry dates

I need my H-1 B stamped from Mumbai post, my passport expires in less than 6 months from the date of application and date of entry into USA. Can this situation lead to some kind of a problem for me.
    Per VFS and USCIS it is not a mandatory requirement to have your passport expiry date more than 6 months..it is only a recommendation.
    Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated.

If you have enough time to renew, save yourself the headache and do it.

Comment

The possibilities are that the VO may issue you a visa only till the passport expiry date. And the same could be the issue at the POE as well. The officer may give you an I-94 only till the passport expiry date. So it is advisable to get the passport renewed before you go for the visa stamping. The process of renewing the passport in U.S is easy and fast compared to India. It takes somewhere between 3-4 weeks if all documents are in place.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you folks.

My travel plans to India are starting in a week from now.
        Would be better to cancel my tickets and renew the passport in USA or renew the passport in India using Tatkal(Expedited) service, and go with a new passport to the counsulate for stamping?

Once again all your help is highly appreciated.

Comment

The point is, you need to go to the consulate with a passport that is valid beyond your petition expiry date to get a visa that is valid for the entire period of your approval notice. The choice of renewing the passport in U.S or in India is up to you. You should decide that based on your travel plans.
          Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X