Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 picked in 2nd lottery. Working for a different employer - Seeking Advice

Hello,

I hope you’re all doing well. I’m facing a complicated situation and would appreciate some advice and insights.

I completed my bachelor’s in the US and worked on OPT for three years. My employer applied for my H1B visa during those years, but luck was not on my side, and I didn’t get selected in the lottery.

As my STEM OPT was about to end, my employer laid me off. To pursue further studies and keep my options open, I enrolled in a day 1 CPT course for my master’s degree while actively searching for a job.

Due to the challenging job market and multiple rejections, even after great interviews, I decided to seek help from a consulting firm in February 2023. They offered to put my name in the H1B lottery for 2023 while assisting me in finding suitable job roles.

After a few months of interviewing full-time, I finally landed an amazing opportunity, which I started working on with my CPT status. Recently, the consulting company reached out to me, informing me that my name was picked in the second round of the H1B lottery. However, I’m hesitant to join the consulting company as I’m content with my current full-time role and don’t want to move to a contract position.

My main questions are:
    1. Is there a way for the consulting company to apply for my H1B and transfer it to my full-time employer as soon as it’s approved without me leaving my full-time employer and having to work for the consulting company?
    2. If the consulting company applies for a change of status, will my status change as soon as the H1B is approved? Can I keep working on F-1 CPT until my H1 is transferred to my new employer?
    3. If the consulting company chooses consular processing when applying for H-1, can my full-time employer transfer it and file for a change of status instead?

I understand this situation is complex, but I’ve faced unlucky H1B lotteries in the past, and now that I finally have a chance, I want to explore all possible options.

Thank you for your time, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!​

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X