X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not have I-797 from employer

Hi all,
    I have an interesting problem.
    An employer applied for my H1b in 2008 and it was approved while I was on OPT. The employer sent me a receipt number for it. But I did not get a copy of I797 from them.
    I did not work for them and soon moved back to India.
    They have been unresponsive to my calls and mails to send me the I797. I also dont know if the status is active or if it is revoked.
    So now my problem is that can I apply for a transfer of H1 to a new wmployer with only the receipt number? Or should I start the whle process with another employer.
    Any and all responses will be appreciated. Thanks.

If you know that receipt number belongs to you (for sure), then you can initialte a transfer using that receipt number. But if the employer gave you a wrong receipt number, then you are in trouble. That is why it is better to initiate the transfer with a copy of the old approval notice instead of relying on the receipt number given by the employer.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.
      I guess there is no way to check if the receipt number given to me is actually mine.

Comment

There is no way other than to get it from the employer since H1B is employer's petition.

Originally posted by jwoww View Post
        Thanks for the clarification.
        I guess there is no way to check if the receipt number given to me is actually mine.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info, shervin143

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X