Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning to US on H1B (from India after 5years stay in US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to US on H1B (from India after 5years stay in US)

I was in US for 5years on H1B until late 2010, due to family reasons moved to India.
    Before I moved I was with a very large and very well known US company and after realizing I might have to go on a long break to India which this large US company won't be able to give, I moved to a consulting company, worked with a client for a duration of 2 months, then had to move back to India.
    It's been about 7 months since I came to India, my visa (stamping and also the latest I-797) will expire later this year, I am wondering if I should stay a little longer and apply for a new H1B which gives me a new 6-year cycle (I am of the opinion new H1B makes my life easy in terms of time I have for apply for GC, beside it helps if I am in India for some more time).
    Along those lines I have below questions

1. Will 365 days staty outside the country for new petition be considered after 6 years?

2. Should 365 days staty outside the country for new petition be continuous? During my 5 year stay I was outside US for a couple of months, can I count those days too?

3. When is the latest once can enter (legally and practically) US when the visa is close to expiry?

1. Will 365 days staty outside the country for new petition be considered after 6 years?
    >>> Yes, after staying outside for 365 days, you qulaify to file the H1B petition under a new CAP (Don't use the CAP from the previous approval notice) with a Oct 1st start date which will give you a fresh 6 year period in h1B.

2. Should 365 days staty outside the country for new petition be continuous? During my 5 year stay I was outside US for a couple of months, can I count those days too?
    >>> It has to be continuous 365 days outside U.S.

3. When is the latest once can enter (legally and practically) US when the visa is close to expiry?
    >>> Anytime before the visa and the petition expires. The I-94 will be issued only till the petition/visa expiry date. You will need enough time to file the extension. USCIS advises people to file the extension at least 45 days before their I-94 expiry date. So plan accordingly.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Returning to US on H1B (from India after 5years stay in US)

Thank you for a quick reply Shervin. One more question (inline).

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      >>> Yes, after staying outside for 365 days, you qulaify to file the H1B petition under a new CAP (Don't use the CAP from the previous approval notice) with a Oct 1st start date which will give you a fresh 6 year period in h1B.

Is it only after 6 years? (My visa was of 2005 CAP, won't I qualify for new CAP until 6 years after Oct-2005?) and I stayed only for 5 year on the H1, till end of 2010)

>>> It has to be continuous 365 days outside U.S.

>>> Anytime before the visa and the petition expires. The I-94 will be issued only till the petition/visa expiry date. You will need enough time to file the extension. USCIS advises people to file the extension at least 45 days before their I-94 expiry date. So plan accordingly.
      Last edited by krishnakishorg; 07-21-2011, 03:37 AM. Reason: Improper inlining

Comment

You stay out for 365 days, you qualify for a fresh 6 year term.

Originally posted by krishnaimmihelp View Post
        Thank you for a quick reply Shervin. One more question (inline).
        Last edited by shervin143; 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X